Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that I am going to take some IT, IS classes in the fall and the IT manager at the bank I work at called me out the blue and asked me in a nice way why I havnt applied for the position and i told him nervously that I have no experience. He said he didnt care that he would just like to atleast talk to me. So I think about it and I get excited about the new position, but then I met with him the next day and I guess the reality and overwhelming anxiety of having to learn so much made me feel depressed. He was very nice but the more he talked about what I would be doing with computers in the job kind of scared me, even though I like computers alot. He told me I could give it a try and if I didnt like it I could go back to what I was doing. I am kind of depressed over this. I want the experience and the job, but on the other hand im scared to death. Im not sure what to do. Has anyone else done an IT job with little or no experience? What was it like? Any encouragement and imput would be nice.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Are you doing something in the help desk? For SA, it seems to be a nerve wrecking experience.

Many people who start in IT usually have little or no IT experience and learn it on the job, this way, they see it as building loyalty. Just show that you want it and are willing to work hard. You can't build Rome in a day, take it one day at a time. Look at taking some certificates, they'll ask down the road anyway so take the initiative :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
You will have time to learn the stuff. They know that you won't learn your entire job in a day. It'll take weeks to get you up to speed. :yes

Yes - I am an IT guy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts