Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on Zoloft, the generic version I guess, since early 2007. Feels like quitting it now... on my own.

Sure it sounds like a bad decision. But being unable to get the medication on my own and needing the help of my father to get myself to the place where I am prescribed of it, I feel like I am troubling him. I don't wanna trouble him anymore. And I am quite tired of it... I feel like there has not been any change for a long time now and the doctor is saying to lower my doses (100 mg - 2 pills a day), but they are not going to do it anytime sooner now. And I think I can get lower doses, since I am much better now. Like I said, there hasn't been any change for a while now... I think I could quit it already. I know and I realise I could be risking relapse but I have faith that I will continue to be fine...

although life itself always has uncertainties.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Everyone who has been on an anti-depressant will go through what you are feeling.

You will stop the med, and then your eyes will be opened to the fact that depression really does stem from chemical signals interacting in your brain. This isn't one of life's uncertainty's unfortunately.

Of course if the depression you were medicated for was brought on by some kind of stressing event and you were relatively functional and happy before that event then I'd say there is a decent possibility you will be ok after stopping zoloft. Of course then theres the OTHER possibility that you stop zoloft, feel depressed again like you did before, and claim zoloft is now the reason you are forever depressed (this rationale likely stemming from some kind of insecurity surrounding meds to begin with). Please don't let that last one happen to you. :)

As for 'troubling' your dad.... hes your father, there is no person on earth (along with your mother) who has more of a responsibility of helping to ensure that you grow up into a psychologically healthy and mature adult. In fact, of all his responsibilities as a father, besides providing you with basic human needs, that is at the top of the list. Theres no need to suddenly stop your zoloft all at once.

Express your concern that you want to hurry up the dropping of dose to your dad and doctor. If your doctor won't listen then get a new doc.

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
i agree with kurt, i've been on several anti depressants for a long period of time before. after awhile i would taper myself off (in fact just so i wouldn't have to go to the doctor anymore)thinking i didn't need it, it's not doing anything, i'll just be med free.
then, in a matter of weeks or months, when the med is totally out of my system, i'll realize that i DO in fact need to take something because i'm back to making myself a "shut-in" who's too nervous to even go to work.
and your dad loves you, he wants your health to be good in every way. many times we think we are bothering our parents when in fact, they are soooo glad to be able to help us in any way they can. my own mother has told me this when i have expressed guilt over asking for her help in things, and i believe her sincerity.
like kurt said, talk to your doc and your dad, they (at least your dad) has your best interest in mind always.

·
Banned
232 Posts
I assume the zoloft did originally help with your SA, this isnt clear from your post
if so then, IMO its OK to quit in order to see if your old SA problems return, sometimes the do, sometimes not.

I was in a similar situation having been helped a lot by another zoloft type antidepressant, after several years I quit and my old problems didnt return

if the problems return theres about a 50% chance zploft will work again, often an AD doesnt work the second time around and no one really knows why

if you havent yet got around to learning CBT relaxation and coping skills, do this before quitting

·
World Experimenter
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone. I do know this is a chemical thing I am dealing with now, simply taking it and then stopping it might have more effects than I would ever have known, the brain is simply complex.

for my dad, even he has been asking when I could stop the meds since they do not like the idea of me continue to be on some medication for such a long term. they don't even seem to remember the fact that i had this anxiety problem (that was why I was given AD in the first place, not because of depression). because i doubt they understand, that's why they hardly remember of this problem in me, so that's why i thought i wanted to quit. they wouldn't have known the difference, anyway...

but considering all of what have been said here... i guess i do have my second thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts