Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
black celebration
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously going to class or even leaving the house every day is a challenge for someone with SA. These past few weeks I've been avoiding reality and totally immersing myself in internet stuff, barely leaving my room. But I know that I can't afford to do badly this semester, so I've just decided that no matter what I am going to get up, leave the house, and live my life from now onwards. I have to get through school. I have to believe that one day I will feel like my peers: happy, interested in social interactions, and passionate about life. Right?!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You are right - you'll feel better. I'm 25 and now I'm starting to feel much better because of better coping mechanism - mainly being present most of the time...

I started uni mid yr 2008 and i'm still not finished! but I'm very optimistic now...I'm focused and just have 1 yr left. It seems like I'm producing good work without much effort too...*happy dance...

You will get there - I really suggest antidepressant in conjunction with being present ..in the moment

·
Registered
126 Posts
Leaving the house is never a problem with me, I'm really just rather shy that's all.

But you have to go through hell to get to heaven. The more you put yourself out there, the easier it becomes.

I find some classes involve a lot of speaking and group discussion. This puts my nerves on edge. By the end of the class, I feel so liberated and I feel so confident.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like your title so much!!!!

I like your attitude because it is the attitude I have when dealing with sa issues.

keep going and stay strong lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Boo yaw! I'm totally sure why but OP and khaos actually have me pumped me up. I feel like Al Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday is just running on repeat in my head.

If you'll indulge me: you got da powah.

Seriously though, I made basically this same decision at the start of last year. You'd be surprised how something like doing well in school/being studious in your studies can rocket your self-esteem. In my case, I found stuff that seemed so hard became almost trivial, and I actually started to believe things like, "I'm not the dumbest person in this class!". I mean, in my major (math) it's always a struggle, even for the truly smart people, but after you win a few battles the momentum just keeps building.

Good luck, hope this works out for ya.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Boo yaw! I'm totally sure why but OP and khaos actually have me pumped me up. I feel like Al Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday is just running on repeat in my head.

If you'll indulge me: you got da powah grl!~

Seriously though, I made basically this same decision at the start of last year. You'd be surprised how something like doing well in school/being studious in your studies can rocket your self-esteem. In my case, I found stuff that seemed so hard became almost trivial, and I actually started to believe things like, "I'm not the dumbest person in this class!". I mean, in my major (math) it's always a struggle, even for the truly smart people, but after you win a few battles the momentum just keeps building.

Good luck, hope this works out for ya.
RIGHT ON!!!

I'll be damn if I let sa or anything else take me down..

Not as long as I'm alive; not as long as I'm breathing. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts