Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I'll cut to the chase, I am depressed.
I have had bouts of depression for a few months now and I hate it as you would expect,
I have low self esteem, I'm so lonely, i am the youngest child in a dysfuntional family, I sometimes can't sleep, I want to cry but I can't for some reason, Sometimes I overeat, sometimes I under eat, and I'm currently battling severe hypochondria and mild ocd, which I feel is tearing me apart... Although I haven't been diagnosed with depression I may go to the doctors in the new year...

I really need people support because, quite frankly my life just sucks...

·
I have to feed my dog
1,889 Posts
try joining a support group. they might be hard to find but you can try sites like meetup.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know what its like coming from a dysfunctional family and the effect it can have on a person like it did on me. I can say that in my case my parents were trying their best with us but it was my relatives who really played a colossal step in ruining my life (even though they thought they were trying to help me). From someone who has experienced this, let me tell you that you shouldnt feel depressed, because i did and now im the one who has lost out on life because i couldnt let go of the past. Talk to someone, if not your family then someone else you trust but dont bottle your feelings because you'll just implode and blame yourself for everything and you will ruin your life. i couldnt talk to anyone so i wrote poems about how i felt, and kept a small diary and it helped to vent out my frustrations in words, in a way it was therapeutic. Try to occupy yourself, find a hobby, join a club or something that gets you out of the house and away from these thoughts.

i was speaking to someone today who has experienced this, and had also overcome depression. One of the methods he used which he told me to use is that at the end of the day write down all the good points and bad points of the day. If you have more good than bad then try to keep at that pace, if you have more bad than good then try to make sure that the next day you will make sure you have more good than bad, and slowly you will begin to notice change.

what people fail to realize (especially parents) is that children react to their surroundings, if the child is happy most of the time then he/she is mirroring the environment and primary social relationships around them, if they are volatile, angry and upset then there is something wrong in that environment and social relationships- its not the childs fault, its what the adults are doing that the child reacts to. Unfortunately adults fail to see this and blame the child for being 'naughty' or 'bad' they dont see that its them thats creating a problem for this child, and by labelling them with words such as 'bad' it reinforces a negative stereotype which the child takes in and builds resentment against them.

i really hope that things work out for you, but take my advice DONT bottle up your feelings, because it will effect you in the long run, talk to someone maybe an elder sibling, or a parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent or whoever, but dont burden your self with this alone.

·
Registered
220 Posts
have you considered therapy or medication? If finances are an issue they can do a sliding scale at most places so it can be more affordable.

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get free healthcare, but I have heard bad stuff about antidepressant meds... How are they really, sometimes I am quite happy, but sometimes I am not, could it be bipolar instead of depression?

·
TEAR DOWN THE WALL!
2,299 Posts
First of all, I'm sorry you're in such a bad place right now. Most of us here have felt the same as you during some point or another. I say you're on the right site if you're looking for support, even if it's just a first step. Going to get professional help is really scary (even at my most suicidal, I couldn't do it). So until you build up the courage, receiving anonymous support is the next best thing.

As for the medication, I'm not sure about the side effects because I've never been on them. However, if you ever do want to try meds, you really need a formal diagnosis. Taking antidepressants with bipolar depression (opposed to unipolar depression) can cause more harm than good. I don't know you well enough to offer you an opinion about whether you're unipolar/bipolar. But considering that no manic episodes have interfered with your life, I'm guessing it's unipolar depression. Depression has a tendency to strike in episodes. Mine usually last 2-3 weeks, and then I'm alright before the next one strikes.

I hope you feel better soon and that you're able to find some comfort here. :heart

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot, I don't know if it's my age, or just my environment. :)

·
is trying.
714 Posts
In the short term, try a support group like another poster said. I dunno how old you are, but if you're an adolescent and still living with your folks, it's probably a combo of age and environment: everything is more extreme in young adulthood. For me, at least, things got a lot better once I moved out. I'm only 24, but I've found that, along with medication and support and being on my own, getting a little older has helped me calm down a bit. I hope it turns out that way for you, too. If you ever want to talk, feel free to pm me.

·
TEAR DOWN THE WALL!
2,299 Posts
I agree with Addler that both your age and environment are contributing to your depression. Depression is never simple and pinpointing it on only one factor explains only a small part of the problem.

At 17 years old, you're probably going to be graduating high school soon and that's a very big and scary change. My worst depressive episode was the spring before my high school graduation. In order to cope with such a huge adjustment, most people turn to friends and family. Judging from your post and the fact that you're on a Social Anxiety Support site, I'm assuming that you have a very limited social network. That's a terrifying environment and a breeding ground for Depression. Mix change and a limited social network with a shy and self-defeating personality and you've got disaster! There's a reason why depression/suicide is so common.

Depression is a hard trap to get out of, but it is very possible if you're willing to stay strong. Stay safe for me, okay?

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I'm not suicidal, I have too much to look forward too in life... I just have depressing episodes every once in a while... I feel a little better since I started this forum, I think I hit an all time low there...

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I say to my mother that I feel depressed, she says "at your age?" I said age doesn't matter but she has none of it...

·
is trying.
714 Posts
My mother doesn't get it, either, so I stopped trying to make her understand.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I suffer from Depression too but I won't take meds (anti-depressants etc) as I know they aren't the answer to my problems. Meds only target the symptoms of depression they don't help with the cause(s). At least when i'm not on meds i'm relatively human and it's my emotions at the end of the day that have stopped me doing something drastic. With drugs in me i'd most likely be an emotionless zombie and that's far more dangerous as I'd be more likely to do harm to myself when i'm in that state of mind. Pills are sadly not the miracle cure for depression but it's often the only thing doctors hand out as it's so easy for them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually, for some people a combination of medication and therapy can be life changing, for others, not so much. It's a very personal thing. I'd never suggest someone just take pills but if you are able to deal with the symptoms sometimes this gives you a greater ability to deal with the cause.

I learned a lot about myself while on medication for about a year. I ran out of money and insurance so I haven't been able to go back on but as I've been able to remember the things I've learned about myself I find that I'm not quite as bad as I was before the meds. I changed. I'm certainly not cured, but I have an easier time with some things than I ever would have imagined.

That being said, OP I am glad you're feeling better. Depression is a very hard pit to climb out of. Also the "I have too much to look forward to in life" attitude will get you far. That's always been my outlook as well. Just make sure that you're also taking time to enjoy the things that are going on now or when you get to be my age you will wonder what you've been waiting for all this time. ;)

·
Overlord of OGLE-TR-122b
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am making a bucket list, to help me stay positive... :D

Thanks guys!

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts