Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Val, and I have social anxiety disorder.

I am 31, live with my parents, and I worry if I am going crazy.

How many of us with social anxiety had a horrible time in school? Can you believe that even though I'm 31, I still think about when kids laughed at me and put me down?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm wearing a big sign on me that says, "I have social anxiety, so do what you want to me."

Here's something that has happened to me.
I was coming out of the movies and there were a bunch of girls walking behind me. I felt a tap on my right shoulder. Of course I looked. Apparently, the girls tapped my on my shoulder and walked the other way laughing...

Now I'm afraid of going to the movies on a Saturday, because I know young people are there, and I don't know to react if someone laughs at me...

Can anyone relate???

Welcome everyone who, like me, is new here!!!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Val :wel

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi Val, I can relate to you. I'm still quite hung up on the names I was called at school and college (12+ years ago). It has caused me to be embarrassed about how I look, and does hamper my everyday life (I get embarrassed talking face-to-face with people as I think they are thinking about how horrible I look). What I keep trying to remember is that although I still get paranoid that people are laughing at me and calling me names, in actuality I am the only one who has kept these thoughts alive the past 12 years. No-one since college has called me names, so if I could only put the past behind me, I could move on. This is easier said than done, however.

I also still live in my parent's home (though, slightly different - my dad passed away five years ago, and my mum has recently moved in with her new partner). I've lived here since I was 9 years old, and can't seem to make a move from here.

Welcome to the forums :)

Steve

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Welcome, Val.

There are a few reasons those girls could've done that. Most likely it had nothing to do with you personally - they could've done that to several strangers through the evening. Some people play games like that (especially when they're in groups), and their targets are fairly random - just a matter of who's around.

Or you could've mistaken a bump for a tap.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, ValBoyz2000! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts