Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have just joined today.

I'm from the UK, 19 and I have struggled with social anxiety my whole life. But was only diagnosed in 2019 and this is when it got really bad. I don't know anyone in my life who struggles with social anxiety and a lot of my family doesn't understand and thinks I'm faking it or it doesn't exist.

I have isolated myself since I left school, I never leave my house on my own and have no friends as i struggled to talk to them. Im going to uni in September and I'm hopping being on this site can hep me.

I will be studying psychology which i have a big interest in and I want to help people who also struggled with their mental health, However i need to get control of my social anxiety first before i can help others.

Anyways i hope i haven't complained to much. I'm excited to be here. :smile2:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the Forum, it's great to have you here :) Do you know how you developed Social Anxiety, are you currently getting any support etc. with it? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I'm not sure how i developed my social anxiety, I just seem to always have be struggling with it, even when I was very young and I had just started school my mother said i wouldn't talk to anyone of the other kids. However it has got a lot worse since I left school.

I am getting support for my social anxiety i talk to a mental health nurse every 6 weeks, I'm on medication and I also go to counselling to help. I also have a lot of support from my mother.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure how i developed my social anxiety, I just seem to always have be struggling with it, even when I was very young and I had just started school my mother said i wouldn't talk to anyone of the other kids. However it has got a lot worse since I left school.

I am getting support for my social anxiety i talk to a mental health nurse every 6 weeks, I'm on medication and I also go to counselling to help. I also have a lot of support from my mother.
That's good to hear and thank you for your reply :) Do you find talking face to face with these Therapists etc.a help, or do you find Social Anxiety sort of gets in the way of forming meaningful connections, and thus hampers progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for replying to me, it was helping when I could see the therapist and it as the same one every week, which helped. But because of covid meaning we can only talk on the phone and a change in the therapist I'm talking to, I'm really struggling again to make meaningful connections. It feels all the progress I made last year has gone and I'm back at the beginning of trying to improve my social anxiety again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thank you for replying to me, it was helping when I could see the therapist and it as the same one every week, which helped. But because of covid meaning we can only talk on the phone and a change in the therapist I'm talking to, I'm really struggling again to make meaningful connections. It feels all the progress I made last year has gone and I'm back at the beginning of trying to improve my social anxiety again.
Yeap that's a shame. In my opinion every Therapy session should build on the last. We should feel empowered and gain the confidence and skills to take ourselves to new levels. To see each day as a new opportunity to grow and build upon the day before. If you had control over your Therapy sessions I wonder what you would change to really make a difference for yourself? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeap that's a shame. In my opinion every Therapy session should build on the last. We should feel empowered and gain the confidence and skills to take ourselves to new levels. To see each day as a new opportunity to grow and build upon the day before. If you had control over your Therapy sessions I wonder what you would change to really make a difference for yourself? :)
I think if I had control over my Therapy sessions I would want to build on doing things I don't do such as going shopping alone or even just going for a walk alone. I think if I could start just doing small things and then build on it each therapy session, I think I would really help build my confident up and make me feel more empowered.

What did you do to help improve your social anxiety?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think if I had control over my Therapy sessions I would want to build on doing things I don't do such as going shopping alone or even just going for a walk alone. I think if I could start just doing small things and then build on it each therapy session, I think I would really help build my confident up and make me feel more empowered.

What did you do to help improve your social anxiety?
Thank you for your reply, you raise some useful points :) I wonder if this is something you could raise with your Therapist? :) What worked for me regarding Social Anxiety was concentrating on the things I could do, and gradually build upon them. I was very fortunate in that I could go out at times of the day when there were little people around. It helped to make things more manageable. My mind-set was one of doing things while still staying relatively relaxed, and not progressing until I was ready, always geared to keeping my anxiety levels at manageable levels. Hope that makes sense and helps. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your reply, you raise some useful points :) I wonder if this is something you could raise with your Therapist? :) What worked for me regarding Social Anxiety was concentrating on the things I could do, and gradually build upon them. I was very fortunate in that I could go out at times of the day when there were little people around. It helped to make things more manageable. My mind-set was one of doing things while still staying relatively relaxed, and not progressing until I was ready, always geared to keeping my anxiety levels at manageable levels. Hope that makes sense and helps. :)
Thank you for your reply and your help and it does make sense. :smile2: I definitely will raise it with my therapist, I think I'm to start small and then gradually build it up when I'm ready like you did. I think doing that way would help me progress a lot more than I am.

·
404 Not Found
2,862 Posts
Welcome. :) I think you'll find your story is quite similar to many members' here. So if it's company and understanding you're looking for, you've come to a decent place. My only advice is to moderate how much time you spend in highly contentious sections, like Society and Culture and Frustration. The main drawback of having so many people struggling with the same issue in one place is that it can easily slip into a bit of an echo chamber/feedback loop. Then you find yourself feeling worse than you did before.

I absolutely second the suggestion to bring this up with your therapist. You should have control over your therapy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome. :) I think you'll find your story is quite similar to many members' here. So if it's company and understanding you're looking for, you've come to a decent place. My only advice is to moderate how much time you spend in highly contentious sections, like Society and Culture and Frustration. The main drawback of having so many people struggling with the same issue in one place is that it can easily slip into a bit of an echo chamber/feedback loop. Then you find yourself feeling worse than you did before.

I absolutely second the suggestion to bring this up with your therapist. You should have control over your therapy.
Thank you :smile2: I definitely have come for understanding and company, so I'm glad I found this place. I will take your advice on moderating my time in the controversial sections, so I don't feel any worse than I do now.

I will make sure my next theory session, I bring put what i want to change to get the most out of my sessions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts