Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im not sure about places to go out, but I have always felt very comfortable at the Library.. I might just be a nerd though haha. And don't expect rejection, just be realistic and accept it if that's what happens.

·
Renewed Hope
354 Posts
Why dont do you try the gatherings or support group forums? I heard from another person on sas say that getting SAers together is like trying to herd cats. I love cats so I think that is funny as hell but it's probably true though. If all else fails just go were people in your city go like clubs or something.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi Lars, I wrote this on another post a few minutes ago, if you are not into the bar scene (I gave that stuff up last year) see if there is a gamers shop around. The one where I met some friends I get together with once every couple of weeks has both guys and girls who go there of all ages, not just teenagers. If that's not your thing try coffee shops or bookstores. I go to the library after work once a week to read, I just like being around people even if the only person I talk to is the check out librarian. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually wrote about something similar to this on my blog a while back. Look for social networking sites and groups in your area. I've been to a few and there are quite often people who don't say a lot but they're having a good time. So long as you can reply to someone you'll be right as other more social people will draw you in.

If you're worried, then think of answers for the standard questions - what do you do for work, where do you live, are you local, how long you been on the site/group for, what do you do for fun, etc. And remember, any question you are asked, give some detail. Do not just say 'I work in an office', tell them about your job, what you do, where you work, what you like about it, then ask 'what about you'. Then when they answer, look for hooks.

By hooks, I mean potential topics of conversation or body language and tone of voice that give something away. I'll try and give you a rough example:

Person: So what do you do for work?
Me: blah blah blah, what about you?
Person: I work in x (had no emotion in her voice or face so I knew she wasn't excited about her job)
Me: Really? Is that what you always wanted to do?
Person: Nah I would've loved to get into photography
Me: Wow, I love photography yada yada yada

Chatted to this girl for about 20-30 minutes on photography all by changing direction a bit. Or someone might say 'I love going to this bar down the road, they have heaps of pool tables and awesome karaoke rooms' - obviously you can ask about pool or karaoke as just two examples.

·
Banned
175 Posts
There are groups for people with SA and I found a lot of them that are listed locally at www.meetup.com.

It is a large site that lists groups all over the country concerning different subjects and if you type in "social Anxiety" and your zip code and you will get listings of people with SA that meet and go on outings like walks and lunches!

I have 2 groups in my area that I signed up with recently and I am going to give it a try!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts