Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to the movie theatre tomorrow to see the Hangover after I do some shopping and I'm going alone-yes, it's embarassing, but I'm going alone, I'm not gonna let the fact that I have no one to go with stop me from seeing movies that I want to see-but it'd make me feel better if u guys tell me u do that too, or do other things alone

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Gosh I don't know if I'd ever be able to go to a movie alone. Although I hate that I have to depend on my sister to see movies because she's into chick flicks and crap that I usually would never want to see. It's good that you're pushing yourself to go alone!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'd never have the guts to go the movies alone on the weekend. I'd go at some random time like early on a Tuesday afternoon. Maybe I should set a goal to do that this week. Besides my pets, I am completely alone for the next 9 days.

Hopefully not too many schools are out for the summer already.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just saw a movie by myself today, gotta say its more enjoyable without anyone having to sit next to you, let alone someone you know.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i'm going to the movie theatre tomorrow to see the Hangover after I do some shopping and I'm going alone-yes, it's embarassing, but I'm going alone, I'm not gonna let the fact that I have no one to go with stop me from seeing movies that I want to see-but it'd make me feel better if u guys tell me u do that too, or do other things alone
I go to movies alone too.
I'd even prefer that there was no one in the movie theater beside me so I could enjoy a movie in some peace and quiet.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd rather watch movies alone. I hate when people talk when I'm trying to watch a movie. I've watched them at home and had people have entire phone conversations when I'm trying to watch a movie. I can't stand that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I actually just came back from seeing The Hangover and it defiently lives up to the hype. I wouldn't beat yourself up for going alone. When I was there I couldn't even tell who people were with or if they came alone. If you sat next to someone I don't even think people could tell. Besides it's a great movie you should defiently go see it. Don't let SA stop you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have fun.I hate going to movie theaters at all because when it gets quiet you can hear random coughs and people eating their popcorn. Annoyin haha.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I saw The Hangover the other night, but actually I went with a friend (I often go alone, though). It was really crowded for a Wednesday night for some reason, and everyone laughed and clapped at the end. :roll You'll still enjoy seeing a movie solo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i think im gonna go see that movie alone tomorrow as well! i dont have anything to do, so why not spend a saturday at the movies! i go to the movies alone sometimes, and let me tell u, its much more enjoyable that way:)

·
A jagged pulse
310 Posts
Yay for allof you going to the movies ALONE. it takes a brave person to do that and i applaud you. I belive you have to learn to be okay by yourself sometimes:boogie

·
Registered
290 Posts
good for you!
did u like the movie?????? i'm debating if i should see it, the last one i saw was "i love you man" and it was alright but below my expectations and everyone was saying how good it was...

·
Half way there
428 Posts
I go alone all the time. I don't think it's that uncommon.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I know how you feel. I want to Batman Begins by myself and felt very uncomfortable. There were only 4 other people in the theatre and they all came alone. I felt like we were a group of outcasts. That wasn't true though and you shouldn't be ashamed of going alone. You have SA, a good reason in itself. Maybe you can't wait to see a particular movie. Or maybe you need to get out of the house, away from your family or roomates. Nobody will know why you're alone at the movies, in fact they probably won't even notice.

Also, I saw The Hangover last week and its great.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
If you can do it, then go for it!!!
I'd love to be able to go see a movie or go shopping or go out to eat by myself.

I don't go see movies anymore because movies lately really suck, they are nothing but special effects taken to the extreme...No story, just explosions..I'll try to hold my rant on this in check.

***But when there is a movie that looks good, I won't go see it because of the SA. The thought of me waiting in line by myself, getting a ticket for 1, and then walking alone to the theater, looking for a seat by myself, the thought of having to do all this is WAYYY more than my SAD will allow me to do. My avoidance kicks in and I run(or at least don't leave the house) So I don't go, no matter how much I wanted to see the movie. This is ridiculous

But, actually sitting in the theater alone is no problem for me. My fears go away when I make it to my seat. They start back up again when the movie ends and I have to leave the theater. I don't know, maybe that chair becomes a safety zone or something

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thats awesome that your'e gonna do that.. I'd be too self concious to go alone to watch a movie even though i really want to watch that.. I've never attempted to make it to the seat so im not sure that i'd be ok. props to you for being able to do that!

·
Registered
339 Posts
GO FOR IT!

When i go alone, i never go alone. My little friend anxiety sits with me, a quiet voice of doubt saying something like, "weirdo, everyone's looking at you" or "how sad, people are laughing at you". Of course, these thoughts are actually amusing when i realise that everyone is actually sitting alone within themselves!

Realising that is powerful indeed and being comfortable with that existential aloneness is freeing.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's awesome letitrock! Let us know if the Hangover it's any good! That's a huge step. I'm glad you're not letting S.A. stop you from doing what you want. You are brave to do so. Wish I could do the same but I am so codependent. I hate doing things myself well and think everyone is staring at me. I like to go run errands myself though. Sometimes I'll go to the park alone.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts