Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things will be so much easier if I can be open with my parents about SA and depression; but I haven't plucked up the courage to mention it yet. I keep putting it off. It also isn't fair on my parents; they are worried about me.

So I'm finally going to go and tell my mom outright about how I struggle with SA. I'm going to do it tomorrow morning before she goes to work. I don't quite know what I'm going to say. I'm going to spend the rest of the night thinking it over, then tell her.

I'm posting this on here to make sure I do it this time.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Very brave of you...are your parents the understanding, "we want to help you" type? That'll be awesome. Really, your parents love you unconditionally, which makes them your real best friends in life...you won't have to deal with this by yourself anymore. :clap

·
Rising Above
59 Posts
Things will be so much easier if I can be open with my parents about SA and depression; but I haven't plucked up the courage to mention it yet. I keep putting it off. It also isn't fair on my parents; they are worried about me.

So I'm finally going to go and tell my mom outright about how I struggle with SA. I'm going to do it tomorrow morning before she goes to work. I don't quite know what I'm going to say. I'm going to spend the rest of the night thinking it over, then tell her.

I'm posting this on here to make sure I do it this time.
I had to tell my parents about gyno so I could get surgery for it like a half a year ago... huge relief...

you'll be so relieved.... soooooo relieved

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I told her. She was a little defensive at first, but she seems understanding. It made me feel a little sick whilst telling her, and I nearly cried when she said that I need help. To hear my own mother saying that is troubling, even though it's true.

Afterwards, she said "why didn't you say something sooner." It felt very odd talking about something I never speak about, especially to someone so close. I feel somewhat relieved that I told her, and also embarrassed. She will now speak to me differently.

I'm very tired now as I was up all night. I still have to face my dad, who is altogether more difficult.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, I may not have actually done it if it wasn't for the feeling of obligation to report back here. So all due thanks must go this website and the people on it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^She knew I'm shy, but she didn't know how it inhibits my life and the depression it causes. Incidentally, I didn't mention the term social anxiety because I knew she would never have heard of it and the term would therefore have no meaning. I instead just explained the problem symptomatically.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.