Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working at Target for 3 months and a week. I just got my 3 month review and they raised my pay a whole $0.25 an hour. It kind of sucks quiting my job right when I get a pay raise but whatever I don't want this job any longer and I'm going to leave.

The problem I have with Target is that it stresses me out to much. Me being a cashier means I have to see close to 500 different people everyday and make conversation with them. I feel my SA is becoming worse with this job; I originally thought when I was first hired here that maybe this would help me "face my fears". Granted it has helped me a little bit, but for the most part it stresses me out to much plus I just get so pissed off working their. Customers can be so stupid sometimes and it really gets me angry.

Now since I still need a job I decided to go back to my previous job Labor Ready (Freelance construction work). To be honest I don't really want to work their, it's hot and I don't particularly enjoy picking up peopls trash which is the main job that I tend to do at Labor Ready. This really sucks bad because if it weren't for my SA I would totaly stay with Target but now it's getting to the point were my qaulity of life is diminishing everday that I work their.

Hopefully I'm making the right decision I've been putting alot of thought into it the past few weeks and I think I should leave Target. Although I'm getting alot of anxiety and doubts over quiting Target. I just hope that I'm not making a mistake and leaving a good job for a crappy job. So with that said I'm putting my two weeks in on monday. I think I'm more nervous about telling my manager I'm going to put in my two weeks than my decision to leave Target.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know how you feel cuz my sister told me "you should work at Target!" and i said no way you have to see so many people everyday and make small talk with them and i think i would mess everything up on the cash register. so if you quit, dont worry about it and beat yourself up. its not worth being miserable just to say you have a job at Target! is there anywehre else you could work besides that trash pick-up thing? maybe something retail that isnt so stressful.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i agree, don't suffer needlessly... it's one thing to face your fears, and another to live in torture... even non-SA people loathe working a register, for the very same reasons...

but yeah is there anything else you could do? that doesn't involve so many people, but wouldn't bother you as much as that other job?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I worked a cash register at a food court at a ski resort last winter and it wasn't so bad cause it was pretty straight-forward: Show me what you're buying, I push the buttons on the screen, you give me money, I give you what screen says back. No coupons, no exchanges, no returns, etc. And it made me feel good most days and since it was somewhat challenging, it made the day go by faster.
However I wouldn't want to be a cashier at a dept. store or even a grocery store. Too many opportunities for certain customers to make things more complicated or difficult then they have to be.
I will always choose the lesser-paying but no-customer-contact job over the better-paying but deal-with-other-people job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sadpanda said:
but yeah is there anything else you could do? that doesn't involve so many people, but wouldn't bother you as much as that other job?
Yea I've applied for a numerous amount of delivery jobs. But for some reason no one will hire me, they always tell me that I pretty much got the job and they'll call me a in a few days. But I never get a call back ever and when I drive back down they always give me the same answer that they'll get back to me and that I should be more patient.

It's ok though I'll just work at Labor Ready for a while until I find a better job.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Tranquil,

What exactly is it about the job that stressed you out. It was just the people right? If that's true, then you just have to say hello to them, making sure they had a pleasant experience, ring their items up, etc. I would let them start the conversation. They produce the topic, you speak back, and learn from what they say. That's how I would do it. Maybe you are just thinking in the wrong direction about it.

Then again, I am just a different perspective on things!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
millenniumman75 said:
Tranquil,
If that's true, then you just have to say hello to them, making sure they had a pleasant experience, ring their items up, etc. I would let them start the conversation.
That's pretty much what I do, It's just talking to them that I don't like doing. Mainly because I'm not very good at mulitasking so if someone wants to talk to me while I'm trying to scan items I just end up speaking jibberish. Now thats not the main reason why this job stresses me out, but that is a very large factor. Alot of the time it's simply idiot people who will grab an item thinking it's on sale then getting all pissed of at me when I ring up the item and it's not the price they expected. So I have to call in for a price check which always takes about 5-10 minutes and have them ***** at me asking how much longer it's going to take only to find out that the computer was right and the price is not what they expected it to be. Or when you get idiot customers who live america yet don't realize their is a thing called tax. So when you buy an item for say $12.99 it's going to come up at $14.00 because in america we have a little thing called tax. Their is plenty more things I could go on and on about but I won't.

This is just not a healthy job for me to work at. I would much rather work at Labor Ready then work at Target. Also I tried to apply for many different positions at Target but it never once went through. Maybe if they let me try a different position I might have stayed but their loss. So today I finaly put in my two weeks and the good thing is if I ever wanted to go back to Target they would hire me in a heartbeat. The managers were sad to see me go because they thought I was a damn good cashier (which I find hard to believe). Also I found out today that one of my co-workers who was hired at the same time I was only has had 2 Target red cards (red cards are Targets very own credit card and as a cashier I have to try and get as many customers as possible to apply for one). And I've gotten probly around 30-40, so at least I know I'm not a bad cashier, which I thought I was up until today.

Anyways I'll be making more money with Labor Ready than I will with Target although not by much. Plus with Labor Ready I can work any day I please and take a day off any time I want. So I think this is a good decision, and even if it turns out that I made a bad decision I'm sure something will come up that will be either as good as Target or better.

Edit: I just reread my post and it sounded very cocky to me, so to whoever this may concern I wasn't trying to sound cocky it just sorta came out that way. :stu

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Tranquil,

Part of anxiety is not being able to find out what happened - you learned that you were actually a stellar employee. That is wonderful news. I am even sorry to read that you are leaving. You could have used skills you learned here on the job. I just feel like you might have sold yourself short or settled for less.

I hope Labor Ready works out for you, though. I am glad to see that you are sticking with staying employed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.