Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight a club at school is having a dinner and I RSVP for the event. I'm so nervous because its been forever since I've actually went out and ate dinner with people and I do feel out of touch socially. Any ideas on how to be more talkative because I don't want to be nervous tonight. I really want to go and enjoy my night out. Also, can anyone give advice on what to say during conversations and what things to avoid?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel ya girl! Just don't turn around now, go do it and try have a good time!

My advice are;

* Make phone calls to ppl you feel calm about, just talk talk talk. It will get you in the 'social mood' fast.

* Alcohol

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself for being nervous, what's important is that you're leaving your comfort zone and facing a challenge. Just try to relax and be yourself. I also find it helpful to sometimes keep a mental list of at least 5 topics to discuss just in case the flow of conversation isn't as natural as expected. In terms of what to avoid, i would personally steer clear of controversial issues like politics and religion, unless you're in the mood for a debate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I feel ya girl! Just don't turn around now, go do it and try have a good time!

My advice are;

* Make phone calls to ppl you feel calm about, just talk talk talk. It will get you in the 'social mood' fast.

* Alcohol
Alcohol can backfire easily and just make you more withdrawn. I remember one night when I was camping and got drunk and I turned into a recluse and refused to talk to anyone even if they said something to me. Not to mention, it's a school sponsered event.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alcohol can backfire easily and just make you more withdrawn. I remember one night when I was camping and got drunk and I turned into a recluse and refused to talk to anyone even if they said something to me. Not to mention, it's a school sponsered event.
Yeah, I guess I shoulda written what works for me. Just thought that a glass of whine for a lady could take the top off easily.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Drinking alcohol to make you more social isn't going to do you any good in the long term. It doesn't really count if you use alcohol because it's not your normal state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Things that work for me:

* Drinking redbull. Finish a can, give it 15 minutes and if you're anything like me, all your inhibitions will go right out the window and you'll feel a ton more confident, and without the need of alcohol.

* Listen to some music you really really like to get you hyped up. I like listening to SR-71 before a social meeting (on the rare occasion they happen!) and it never fails to pump me up a bit and make me feel liberated.

Good luck ! Hope some of these suggestions work for you.

·
Music addict.
191 Posts
I'm not sure that I have much advice for you, other than just be yourself. A lot of times I feel my social anxiety is caused by me being self conscious of what people will think of me. If it's the same for you, just try to not to think about how you're acting. Act however feels natural to you. Just be yourself. Don't think about how you should be acting or what you should be saying. Be you.

I hope that it goes well for you. :) Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts