Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an introvert, and on top of that, I'm shy. But so far I have made two good friends..one girl, one guy.
I hang out with the girl the most and her personality is very similar to mine...on Friday nights we stay inside and watch TV and don't really do anything spontaneous. I love her but tonight is a Friday night and once again, I'm stuck inside.
So...I want to expand my friend base tremendously. I'm just so scared though to talk people and push myself out of my comfort zone. I've been like this ever since I could remember. However, I have a party girl inside of me that really wants to let go and just party. I went to a two frats only twice and I didn't let go and dance be/c my friend was all scared in the corner.

Idk, I am just at a point now where I want to change my "personality". I love being introverted because I enjoy my own solitude..reading in a corner and being left alone is just a great feeling. However, Im just trying to figure out if Im like this because I'm "afraid". Don't get me wrong, I'm nice and open and if people talk to me, I talk back..but I'm constantly analyzing social situations and I am getting the sense that I analyze things more than other people do.

I am getting slightly depressed right now too. I can't pinpoint why but I feel a bit empty.

And I must say that I am a female and not unattractive....but my self-esteem is very low :/
Also, my bf (we were long distance while in college) suddenly stopped speaking to me about a month ago..so I'm still trying to get over that. Im making progress..

·
I have to feed my dog
1,889 Posts
It's good that you at least have a couple of friends to practice on. if you can get comfortable with them, you can use that confidence to try talking to other people.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you tried enrolling in classes where you might be more likely to find introverted people like you? I took a lot of art classes in college and a fair number of creative writing classes, and believe me, that's definitely one place where they're hiding.

A lot of college have free counseling services. Have you ever looked into that? You don't have to do anything long-term, but the counselors there have undoubtedly helped people in your same situation and given them resources and suggestions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I did it by drinking - not sure that is the best way though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts