Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's the second day of classes... Looks like I have a big challenge this semester. I have a course called "Interpersonal Skills" which is basically talking about yourself and how to interact with other people.

Already I've done a couple in-class exercises where we have to share our thoughts with the class. My prof literally goes around the room to each person for their response. I hate this course so much... I always sound like I'm about to cry when I'm talking in front of the class. She always has to ask me to talk louder (I know that look in people's faces when they don't understand what I've just said, lol).

Has anyone taken a course like this where you constantly have to talk in front of the class? I'm not one to skip classes and I just kind of want to get this course done with. Any tips on how to keep a steady voice? Homemade remedies on easing performance anxiety? (Haven't talked to my doctor about all this yet, might be too expensive anyway)

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I actually took a course like that voluntarily :lol

Experience will make it better. Once the course is over you will find yourself using what you learned. That's how it was for me.

Don't look for remedies. Make yourself speak louder. It will work.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
I actually took a course like that voluntarily :lol

Experience will make it better. Once the course is over you will find yourself using what you learned. That's how it was for me.

Don't look for remedies. Make yourself speak louder. It will work.
Same here, i paid for a communications course, where we just learned to communicate with each other better

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had to take public speaking last year and it really did suck for me, I'm not going to lie. I'm the kind of guy who, when presented with a due date, regards the night before said date as the time where I will begin working, no matter what. Of course, it is very hard to prepare a speech in a matter of hours. I would end up staying up til 4 o'clock in the morning, take a two hour nap and wake up to go to school to present my speech with 2-3 large energy drinks in my system. So, iff I can give you any advice, it would be to start work early, get a good nights rest, and lay off the caffeine.

·
Denizen of the Night
230 Posts
As specific as the focus of that course sounds I would take it. Too bad I can't find one out here in the middle of nowhere. I'm pretty much ready for anything affordable to help me learn to talk to people.

199 Posts
That sounds like an extremely useful course.

I had to take a speech class to graduate high school in my senior year. Before taking speech, I would turn red and mumble nonsense in front of the class during book reports.

Taking that class was a start. It challenged me. I am not afraid of giving a speech anymore because of going through it, and can do one fairly well now.

Any tips on how to keep a steady voice? Homemade remedies on easing performance anxiety? (Haven't talked to my doctor about all this yet, might be too expensive anyway)
My tip for keeping a steady voice is preparation, and working on your confidence if it is something like a speech.

Have you thought of speaking to your teacher about the difficulties you are having? That is why he is there after all, to teach a course specifically on how to talk to people. He might be able to give you more help with keeping a steady voice.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I'm the kind of guy who, when presented with a due date, regards the night before said date as the time where I will begin working, no matter what.
This is me exactly. All my assignments at school were done the night before the due date. Even if I tried to do it when I first got it, I would just sit there looking at the paper for a minute, then feel bored and tell myself "I've got heaps of time" and so just go and do something else. What a procrastinator!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I know this course will be beneficial to me, I was really looking for tips on how to survive and make use of the course in the best way. I appreciate all of your strategies.

The scariest part of this course is that most of the activities are done in class and we have less than five minutes to prepare what we're going to share. Yesterday, I showed up a little late because I had a class right before. I think it will help if I sit closer to the front.

Thanks again! If you have any other tips, please share! :)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
So it's the second day of classes... Looks like I have a big challenge this semester. I have a course called "Interpersonal Skills" which is basically talking about yourself and how to interact with other people.

Already I've done a couple in-class exercises where we have to share our thoughts with the class. My prof literally goes around the room to each person for their response. I hate this course so much... I always sound like I'm about to cry when I'm talking in front of the class. She always has to ask me to talk louder (I know that look in people's faces when they don't understand what I've just said, lol).

Has anyone taken a course like this where you constantly have to talk in front of the class? I'm not one to skip classes and I just kind of want to get this course done with. Any tips on how to keep a steady voice? Homemade remedies on easing performance anxiety? (Haven't talked to my doctor about all this yet, might be too expensive anyway)
I feel a little scared reading this. Brings back memories of me talking. Ears getting hot, voice feels a little shaky. And teachers telling me to speak up. Hate talking :( I wish i can just get rid of this and speak normally like I do at HOME!

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I know this course will be beneficial to me, I was really looking for tips on how to survive and make use of the course in the best way. I appreciate all of your strategies.

The scariest part of this course is that most of the activities are done in class and we have less than five minutes to prepare what we're going to share. Yesterday, I showed up a little late because I had a class right before. I think it will help if I sit closer to the front.

Thanks again! If you have any other tips, please share! :)
That is normal. I was once in a debating club where you only ever got very little time. It is hard to begin with but after a while you begin to learn to think on your feet. Most situations in life will be like that. A meeting at work where you will all of a sudden be required to say something etc. That course will really prepare you for those kind of things. Make the most of it! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts