Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember the last time I ever had to speak in front of an audience, but in the past it has never been good news!!

Okay, so all year I've been getting much more comfortable reading in my workshops, and I finally feel comfortable (with the help of beta blockers) in front of my small class. Without the blockers I still get croaky and shaky, which makes me nervous.

Now I'm going to read in front of a whole bunch of strangers tonight. I will make sure to take my blockers which will make me not shake like crazy as I would otherwise. But I'm still super nervous! I have an aside I want to give in mind as well, but I'm so frightened I will mess up on it, or I think the worst is if it doesn't sound as profound as it does in my head! I don't want it to flop. Now, I only have five minutes up there in front of an audience, so that's not bad. I just hope I don't freeze up!

Please wish me luck! And I will be back to say how it went. I am just going to keep telling myself to SOUND CONFIDENT no matter what comes out of my mouth!

*fingers crossed*

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I imagine those slams where everyone wears black and berets and the audience snaps their fingers after you say your poem. There's one light above your head, but the rest of the room is dark. You say things like, "play it cool, daddio." I get a little crazy at night.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I said "play it cool, daddio". Haha, it was nothing like that :(

Anyway guys, it went O.K. I always have these big ideas in my head about how I could make myself look or sound in front of people, but when it comes to reality it never happens.

My voice shook. And I said something really dumb for filler, and I'm still running it through my head.

But people like my poetry, so I guess that should be enough for me. It's just I have no clue how to project my voice still. I'm hoping I can eventually find somewhere that teaches you to project your speaking voice.

Until then, I guess I'll just come out sounding a little shaky. :( But I mean it wasn't a disaster, I just want much better from myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts