Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions. I also need a scanner, are there any scanner/dvd combos? Don't laugh, I'm technically challenged. Anyway, I want something thats inexpensive, yet works good, sound quality is very important to me as well and it needs to last me long.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No DVD/scanner combos that I've ever heard of :)

I advise getting a DVD player with HDMI output. HDMI isn't really necessary for a DVD player, but it does provide the best possible image and audio quality.

Alternatively, you could buy a Playstation 2 and play games on it when you're not watching movies :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
unless you're building some crazy home theatre, and/or you need a specific fancy connection type, i'd probably just get the cheapest one they have. you could spend $150 on one with lots of features you'll never use, but MIGHT need someday... or $50 on one that looks and sounds just as good (for what you're doing), and has everything you need right now... i dunno anything about things like what kardax said, but i'm a big fan of "the simplest solution" heheheh :) plus i'm poor right now which makes me worry about every dollar lol

you can also get a dvd player in your computer. a dvd drive can probably be had for like $30 now? then you just need some software to play dvds, which i'm sure someone could help you find for free. even better, you should double check if your computer has tv-out. most modern computers do. if it does, you can run a cable from it to your tv and watch dvds that way, plus you can now also read dvds on your computer :) and watch on your computer, which is nice, as monitors have much higher resolution than regular tvs. and you can also play non-dvd videos on your tv too ^_^

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys so far. As I'm very techincally challenged I need something simple to hook up as well. Maybe a dvd driver would be both cheapest and easist for me? What do the rest of you think? I have a vcr that I still don't know how to tape shows on (can watch them though).

·
Registered
435 Posts
a cheap set-top dvd player is the simplest. plug in the power, plug in the cable, done. for your computer, you could take it in and have them install the drive for you, then you just have to install the software... but getting the tv-out working can sometimes be a task, if you want to watch on your tv (assuming you have tv-out).

if all you want to do is watch dvds and you're not hung up about features and fancy things... just hit the local electronics store and get a cheap set-top :) plug and go.

but if the idea of watching on your computer is more appealing... go ask them what they'll charge to install a dvd drive in your computer. i'd suggest going to a smaller private shop rather than a big chain as they inflate costs.

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd really care what I watch it on to be honest. I care about price and sound quality (on my vcr, the sound wasn't as good as tv, I don't want things to sound like they're in an echo or anything. ) Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with a cheap set top one. So long as I can watch dvds, I'm happy. I decide I want one with more features, well theres always Christmas, for now I'll take what I can afford :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts