Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, college students, does this happen to anyone else? I'm attending a community college. My chemistry instructor gives us a time limit to take an exam. I'm not sure if he can do that or if any of you have instructors like that. I really don't like how I'm being timed to take an exam. That gives me pressure, anxiety, and stress. I get all worried. It's a Tuesdays and Thursdays class that starts from 9:30 am- 10:45 am. I don't understand why he can't just let his students take their time on the exam or take up the whole class period to work on it. It's not easy and I'm sure most of the students in his class are failing. I want to be able to take my time on the exam, without feeling the pressure to finish it without knowing whether my answer is right or wrong. IT IS NOT A MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST so it takes longer to finish.

I had an exam yesterday and the time to take the exam was from 9:30 am-10:15 am. I was like "Are you frigging kidding me? We're being timed?" The exam was supposed to be this past Tuesday but the class chose to have the exam yesterday. Usually when everyone is done taking the exam, we have a lecture right after. But since we had a full lecture on Tuesday on the next chapter, we can leave after we are done with the exam. I thought we would be able to work on the exam for as long as we want, but I was wrong.

Finally, I would to like to hear what are your thoughts on this? Should he be doing that? Is he allowed to do that? Does any of your instructors do that? Do instructors do that in universities?

-Thanks

This is just ridiculous! Why am I being timed to take an exam? It's only for an introductory chemistry class?!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I thought that was normal, to be honest. But then maybe it's different in the sciences. In any case, he's definitely allowed to, and he might need to since taking too much time on an exam means they have less time to get through lecture material and can fall behind. You'll get used to it in time, I'm sure.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that was normal, to be honest. But then maybe it's different in the sciences. In any case, he's definitely allowed to, and he might need to since taking too much time on an exam means they have less time to get through lecture material and can fall behind. You'll get used to it in time, I'm sure.
I struggle in chemistry a bit but I do plan to do well and study hard!

·
Claimed.
1,416 Posts
Every test I've ever had for as long as I can remember has been timed :stu

I'm in university and my final chemistry exam in a couple weeks is three hours long, around 20 to 25 pages of calculations covering eight months worth of topics. We've also had three other exams and bi-weekly tests, all of which were timed. I have a hard time with the pressure of time limits, so I registered with my schools disability office for my anxiety, and now I get to write it in a separate room away from the class and and given 4.5 hours to do it. It never takes me longer than the class time though because I'm less stressed about having to finish on time, so I focus better (yes, I take more time to do it when I feel rushed :b). Maybe you can explain your situation to your teacher and work something out like that. If you're too nervous to do it in person then email him to explain things.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
Time limits put immense pressure on me and adversely affect my performance. Unfortunately, timed exams are common, especially in college. You could possibly explain your test anxiety to the teacher, but he may not buy it. I know that sometimes, if you have a letter from disability support services at your school, you can take the exam in a different room and have slightly extended time.

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,976 Posts
Uh... What?

As in, you normally have exams where you can take an infinite amount of time to complete them?

·
*sigh*
2,362 Posts
This year our abstract algebra class is doing something similar. We were given a "mini-test" with a dozen questions and 15 minutes to complete it. Obviously after getting our marks back it turned out people didn't do too well on a general basis, so clearly we were stressed for time. I'm confident the time limit will be raised to 25-30 minutes next week, which should be sufficient.

Just get used to it. Unless the teacher is experimenting with new tests, you should be able to complete all the questions in the time given, so you need to learn to work efficiently (e.g. don't get stuck on a question, aim to broadly answer each question rather than spend all your energy on one or two of them, etc...). Practice makes perfect, and that applies to time management as well.

Oh, and, yes, knowing the material tends to help. Answering at random is designed not to work in your favour, except in poorly written multiple-choice tests :) (if in doubt, choose C)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every Exam have time limit to complete it.
For my classes, if the class is 50 minutes long then I have about 50 minutes to work on the exam. That's what I'm talking about. Even my instructor for Tuesdays and Thursdays let us work on the exam until class is over and it was from 12:30 - 1:45 pm. Hope that made sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts