Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't worry it's not killing myself. I'm taking Paxil and I feel like I'm about to do something risky. I can't tell if this is the real me that I want to be or if the medication has caused a problem with my impulse control. I feel great almost too great where I feel like I'm becoming almost too different of a person. Has anyone heard about people having impulse control issues with Anti Depressants? I know I shouldn't be asking for serious advice on a forum but I was was hoping someone had some information about the medications. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Paxil was a bad first choice a long time ago. I lost all inhibition and felt like pulling a gun on myself one day because I had no control of anything. I hate Paxil and dunno why its still prescribed since 25% of the time it works.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
Thats incredible..well at least you know you dont have anxiety haha, but maybe its gotten rid of too much anxiety, because we actually need anxiety to survive. Tell your doctor, youll probably get something like zoloft or prozac.

I wish medicine worked like that for me. I hardly get any results at all from anything. Xanax hardly does anything, and ive been on many SSRIs including paxil. None really did much. Im on prozac now, which is like, the oldest one haha. Its not doing much for anxiety.

The first drug that actually did something was cymbalta. It helped me to get rid of a little bit of anxiety. But after like 6 months i started having these daily panic attacks that were horrible, hypnic jerks, and derealization to the MAX

But ya. Get on a lower dose, or get on zoloft or prozac. From what ive read paxil is hardcore, even know it didnt do anything for me

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for answering everyone. I don't really want to quit as it helps so much. At the same time I don't want to do something stupid. Yea, the lowering the dose sounds like a good idea. If it gets dangerous though I will quit if I have to.
The first drug that actually did something was cymbalta. It helped me to get rid of a little bit of anxiety. But after like 6 months i started having these daily panic attacks that were horrible, hypnic jerks, and derealization to the

I had hypnic jerks among other things too. They are kind of freaky if you are used to them and my doctor didn't know what I was talking about. I thought they were mini seizures until I looked it up. Turns out they sometimes are normal. Glad mine went away. I don't think I had derealization though. That sounds scary. Moonracer I hope you find something that works for you.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
I had hypnic jerks among other things too. They are kind of freaky if you are used to them and my doctor didn't know what I was talking about. I thought they were mini seizures until I looked it up. Turns out they sometimes are normal. Glad mine went away. I don't think I had derealization though. That sounds scary. Moonracer I hope you find something that works for you.
Thanks. Ya, i had hypnic jerks. Right before i fell to sleep, id either kick or punch the wall reaallly hard, or id get this crazy sensation that i was being thrown upside down...it was kinda cool. And the derealization was crazy. I remember being in a basketball game in highschool, and i felt like nothing was real. I was playing basketball and having this crazy derealization attack. And of course i couldnt tell my coach that.

But ya, your lucky. Your body chemistry is made to receive the paxil, which is really cool. Everyone is different. Who knows, i could take something completely unrelated to anxiety meds and that could work.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Don't worry it's not killing myself. I'm taking Paxil and I feel like I'm about to do something risky. I can't tell if this is the real me that I want to be or if the medication has caused a problem with my impulse control. I feel great almost too great where I feel like I'm becoming almost too different of a person. Has anyone heard about people having impulse control issues with Anti Depressants? I know I shouldn't be asking for serious advice on a forum but I was was hoping someone had some information about the medications. Thanks.
it seems like Paxil induced mania. This can occur when the medication starts to kick in and it fades with time.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Probably need to lower dose for now. Give your pdoc a call because you don't want this to continue on.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
There's nothing to worry about. This thread brings me to mind the good time I had when paroxetine kicked in, I acted quite insanely but that was fun. I wish it was the same with Efexor but it's such a flat drug.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Experienced the same when starting my first psy drug ever, Paxil as well. Giving what I experienced I really feel they should put people in observation when first starting up these things. I had constant fantasies of beating people up, even killing one particular person, quite insane.

·
Registered
301 Posts
you need to contact your psychiatrist or healthcare provider as soon as possible. in some cases these drugs can flip a person into a manic episode even those with no previous history of mania. in some cases you may have undiagnosed bipolar, in some cases its purely drug induced. this is generally not a good thing. call your doctor asap;

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. It seems like there may be a fine line between hypomania and the normal effects of the drug. I mean Paxil is suppose to affect mood right and have a chance to help with social anxiety? Hypomania seems like it has symptoms that would allow for both of those things. Even if it is hypomania I'm not sure I want that to stop.

I want to be safe but I also want to be happy. I don't know what I want to do yet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks guys. It seems like there may be a fine line between hypomania and the normal effects of the drug. I mean Paxil is suppose to affect mood right and have a chance to help with social anxiety? Hypomania seems like it has symptoms that would allow for both of those things. Even if it is hypomania I'm not sure I want that to stop.

I want to be safe but I also want to be happy. I don't know what I want to do yet.
yes its supposed to effect the mood no you dont want to be manic or hypomanic in some cases you will enter a period of high functioning in some cases you will make very bad decisions (promiscuity,gambling,blowing all your money, quitting ur job,etc..) if you are having irrational thoughts you NEED to tell your doctor he will be the best to decide what to do and can best determine if this is a normal reaction to the drug or something to be worried about.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I was on Luvox once and lost all inhibitions. I took risks I would have never done prior to the meds. I remember driving home on a two way highway and passing an long row of cars when oncoming traffic was coming quite rapidly...scary stuff and very uncharacterstic of me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
loads of risky thing,s go down on meds, number one if its just kicked in an you have been on a downer for months then BANG:eek: you feel like takeing on the world. I have lost count of the fights i had with no chance of winning but i didnt care. Drove a 300 bhp subaru impretza like a stealth fighter, had 3 kids by the time i was 23 with different ladies, My illness an meds, have given me a life of brilliant high,s an crushing low,s . Kind of cool in a weird way, sort of lived 10 lives in the fast lane already:yes:yes:yes

·
Registered
90 Posts
loads of risky thing,s go down on meds, number one if its just kicked in an you have been on a downer for months then BANG:eek: you feel like takeing on the world. I have lost count of the fights i had with no chance of winning but i didnt care. Drove a 300 bhp subaru impretza like a stealth fighter, had 3 kids by the time i was 23 with different ladies, My illness an meds, have given me a life of brilliant high,s an crushing low,s . Kind of cool in a weird way, sort of lived 10 lives in the fast lane already:yes:yes:yes
So, would you say meds have helped or hurt you in the long run? Would you have been better without them or no?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I really wish to wake up one day and meds have done something like this for me
To the OP, did you do it and what was it ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just thinking about how awesome if would have been if I had got on Paxil earlier in my life. Now that you mention it I probably would have had a lot of fun but also probably would have made a lot of bad choices. I feel like now I am old enough where I might be able to control this. I feel compelled to do these things but I was able to stop myself and think about the consequences first. That's why I came on this forum. I feel like talking about it gave me time to cool down.
To the OP, did you do it and what was it ?
No, I didn't do it. I still could and still want to but... I realize now, with help from you guys on this forum, that I need to step back and think about the kind of person I am and the person I want to be while taking this medication. I'm sorry but I would rather not mention what it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.