Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a recovering alcoholic of 6 years and have found it excruciating trying to attend meetings. I can't socialize or speak do to social anxiety which I've had since I was 25. I am now 58 years old. I'm on the precipice of quitting alcoholics anonymous. But I am completely friendless due to social anxiety disorder. Also, many in the drug and alcohol recovery community don't believe that social anxiety disorder is a thing. I've been told time and again by people that they have what I have and they got over it. It's frustrating me that alcoholics and addicts find recovery and solace with each other because normal people don't understand and think they should just be able to quit. Yet since they don't have the affliction I do they think I should just be able to quit. It ****ing pisses me off. Yet I love some of the members of these groups. I've been saying goodbye in text today. It is very hard. Is any of this relatable to anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know what to say on this site. I kind of told my story briefly but it was confused. I'm 6 years sober, have friends in AA and na. But I cannot withstand the emotional and physical anguish of going to meetings any longer. Also, I'm through with therapy. I've spent thousands over the years. I'm a big fan of the 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous and have often wondered if they would work if directly applied to social anxiety disorder. I live in a small town in South Arkansas. There are no groups and no one to sponsor in such a setting. I'm frustrated and desperate. Also very self-centered and self everything. Feel like giving up.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,266 Posts
I've got a little over ten years clean from opiates. I never could do the meetings because of my phobia of public speaking. Leaving for work or I'd type a longer reply, but can relate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hiii :) I'm sorry you are dealing with overwhelming social anxiety. I can't relate all too much to what you're going through but I've struggled with alcohol since around my freshman year of high school. Currently am sober but I always thought I kept relapsing with it because I didn't reach out and get that support when i needed. also kind of denied i even had a problem. My social anxiety kept me from getting help with it, with anything i struggle with. And i relate so much to people telling me its just fake or simple to get over. I wish i had a solution for you, but I just wanted you to know youre not entirely alone in your struggles. I hope you can overcome it, although its a long and probably difficult process. I hope you make the right decisions for yourself and continue to get better with all that you face <3

·
Registered
669 Posts
In August I'll have three years alcohol free and I never attended any meetings. Just used online support groups and did (and do) a lot of reading. I take what works for me and leave the rest. So it is possible to stay sober without meetings. I hope you find the path that works for you.

·
Registered
17,860 Posts
I can understand your anxiety about going to the meetings. Quite apart from the fact that I would never be able to accept their whole programme - the meetings themselves made me anxious too, let alone "sharing." I'm not too good at that sort of thing - I've just never been a team player.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hi, I used to go To CODA meetings which has the 12 steps of AA that has been slightly adapted for the purposes of co-dependence. If I were to share I would have to practice and practice in my head what I was going to say beforehand whilst other people were talking and so then I missed what they said. I just used to feel like I don't want people to see me, hear me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts