Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a free service for depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety... etc at my college but what am I suppose to do, walk up and be like, so yeah, I'm crazy, I Have social anxiety, I'm depressed and suicidal woohoo!:p they would probably ship me off to the nearest mental hospital, which doesn't sound that bad actually. How does this work? Even if I do manage to make an appointment somehow, would I actually be able to talk to a complete stranger about my problems? Would I be able to keep it a secret from my parents?

Does anyone have any advice on how to get help? Do they ask any questions on the appointment phone call? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
no actually i just started seeing a counselor at my school..and all you have to do is walk in make an appointment and the receptionist will tell you when to come in..my counselor's been pretty understanding so far..so i think you'll be fine too..we're both 18 btw ^_^

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
There is a free service for depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety... etc at my college but what am I suppose to do, walk up and be like, so yeah, I'm crazy, I Have social anxiety, I'm depressed and suicidal woohoo!:p they would probably ship me off to the nearest mental hospital, which doesn't sound that bad actually. How does this work? Even if I do manage to make an appointment somehow, would I actually be able to talk to a complete stranger about my problems? Would I be able to keep it a secret from my parents?

Does anyone have any advice on how to get help? Do they ask any questions on the appointment phone call? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
They won't send you to a hospital unless they think you will immediately with no doubt harm yourself or others. Counselors are trained to help you open up, so just go and say whatever you want and things will start to flow. Since you're 18, your parents won't be told anything unless it comes from you. Counseling is very helpful, imo.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts

They won't send you to a hospital unless they think you will immediately with no doubt harm yourself or others. Counselors are trained to help you open up, so just go and say whatever you want and things will start to flow. Since you're 18, your parents won't be told anything unless it comes from you. Counseling is very helpful, imo.

Please take advantage of any free services while you can, because they may not always be there!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
There is a free service for depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety... etc at my college but what am I suppose to do, walk up and be like, so yeah, I'm crazy, I Have social anxiety, I'm depressed and suicidal woohoo!:p
ha yes exactly that.

I don't know about college facilities because I'm not a student but I just went to my regular doctor, told them I'd been feeling really anxious and it was making me ill. They lead the conversation from there. Would you not consider telling your parents? I think the secretive thing, I'm just speaking from my personal experience, can cause more anxiety and... sort of bitterness.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Yeah, you can't be taken to the hospital unless there is clear danger and there has to be something legally done as well.

·
Banned
497 Posts

my advice would be to first get some knowledge on SA so that you understand this disorder 100%. to do this read the following books :

*overcoming social anxiety and shyness by gillian butler
*the social anxiety workbook by richard p swinson

then i would speak to your doctor and ask if he can refere you to a cbt therapist who treats anxiety disorders (or if you have enough money just pay for a good therapist urself )

as well as the therapy session use unconcious programming cds to change your thoguths e.g www.thinkrightnow.com and hypnosis cds. nlp is also very usefull

1 - 8 of 8 Posts