Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[halp]

I'm going to start working out at a gym, tomorrow. I went for a while earlier this fall, but I stopped going because of the stressful atmosphere(people around/looking at me while I exercise, not comfortable with the machines yet etc).

Now, the chance of me fudging up tomorrow is really high(even though I want to start going to the gym again, really bad).

If anyone could point of the benefits of going, so I can open this thread tomorrow and read when I'm feeling anxious, I'd be really thankful. Even though I know why I have to go, it might help to hear it from someone else. Otherwise I might just shut down and become stuck in avoidance mode.

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

·
♛♚♝♞♟♜♚&
6,528 Posts
hmmmmm I personally avoid gyms pretty much for the reason you stated but ignore I just said that.

You're going to the gym tomorrow because you have to go - for good reasons.

Going to the gym: such a simple thing for other people, something other people don't think twice about, and you are going to prove to yourself and to SAS that you're perfectly capable of doing this also. Why? because it's no big deal, it's no stroll in the park, but brainwash yourself and think: it's no big deal.

After you go to the gym, you'll treat yourself, you can even tell SAS how it went - that's something to aim for. For the long term though, it's for your health. You don't want to end up "yo-yoing" like Oprah remember? Anxiety cannot rule your life is what I say.

*The more you go to the gym, you'll slowly but gradually become immune to the feelings of anxiety. Despite what your brain may be telling you when you feel anxious, what you are doing is good ;)

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmmm I personally avoid gyms pretty much for the reason you stated but ignore I just said that.

You're going to the gym tomorrow because you have to go - for good reasons.

Going to the gym: such a simple thing for other people, something other people don't think twice about, and you are going to prove to yourself and to SAS that you're perfectly capable of doing this also. Why? because it's no big deal, it's no stroll in the park, but brainwash yourself and think: it's no big deal.

After you go to the gym, you'll treat yourself, you can even tell SAS how it went - that's something to aim for. For the long term though, it's for your health. You don't want to end up "yo-yoing" like Oprah remember? Anxiety cannot rule your life is what I say.

*The more you go to the gym, you'll slowly but gradually become immune to the feelings of anxiety. Despite what your brain may be telling you when you feel anxious, what you are doing is good ;)

Thank you, Brasilia. I will return to read your encouraging words.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
[halp]

I'm going to start working out at a gym, tomorrow. I went for a while earlier this fall, but I stopped going because of the stressful atmosphere(people around/looking at me while I exercise, not comfortable with the machines yet etc).

Now, the chance of me fudging up tomorrow is really high(even though I want to start going to the gym again, really bad).

If anyone could point of the benefits of going, so I can open this thread tomorrow and read when I'm feeling anxious, I'd be really thankful. Even though I know why I have to go, it might help to here it from someone else. Otherwise I might just shut down and become stuck in avoidance mode.
The gym is an odd place; everyone sees it as this purely functional thing, where you just go in, do your stuff, sweat a socially inappropriate amount and then leave. And that's that. It's odd really. People are so closed off because they're only focusing on getting their workout done and leaving. If anything, it's an ideal situation for someone with social anxiety to be in, because you really aren't expected to interact with anyone.

You should do it because of the endorphins and stuff. Woo exercise, yeah.

·
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
3,947 Posts
[halp]

If anyone could point of the benefits of going, so I can open this thread tomorrow and read when I'm feeling anxious, I'd be really thankful. Even though I know why I have to go, it might help to here it from someone else. Otherwise I might just shut down and become stuck in avoidance mode.

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
Benefits:
* Keeps you healthy
* Keeps you happy
* Relieves stress
* Makes you stronger
* Gets you out of the house
* Makes you feel good about yourself
* Taking care of your health now will help you live longer and healthier
* Might help you meet somebody? (If you even want that...ya never know)

This is a tough time of year to get back into the fitness routine, but you can do it! Good luck!!! I'm actually trying to get back into the groove as well.

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your posts caught me in the right moment. I was beginning to have second thoughts about tomorrow while getting ready before bed.

(already nervous)

·
3,947 Posts
Meh. Don't be nervous. Plop some headphones in your ear, crank up some tunes, and just do whatever you feel like doing at the gym. Any sort of physical activity is beneficial. Ignore everybody else...that's probably what everybody else will be doing too. If there are a group of annoying teenagers hanging out by the treadmills, go use something else. :)

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meh. Don't be nervous. Plop some headphones in your ear, crank up some tunes, and just do whatever you feel like doing at the gym. Any sort of physical activity is beneficial. Ignore everybody else...that's probably what everybody else will be doing too. If there are a group of annoying teenagers hanging out by the treadmills, go use something else. :)
I'm not interested in those, anyways(other than warming up). IM GONNA BUILD [email protected]@@

·
Registered
136 Posts
You tried, and that's a good thing too :). Perhaps next time will be better, keep your hopes up!

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I'm feeling the guilt now </3

...which kinda sucks since I wouldn't be feeling it at all if I didn't consider going to a gym at all. I've added another thing to feel guilty about in my life! Haha. But... I want to do it. And I should be able to do it. I have to try again tomorrow.

Blarg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks. I'm feeling the guilt now </3

...which kinda sucks since I wouldn't be feeling it at all if I didn't consider going to a gym at all. I've added another thing to feel guilty about in my life! Haha. But... I want to do it. And I should be able to do it. I have to try again tomorrow.

Blarg.
Yea, I understand you feel guilty, and you probably will feel so whatever people tell you. However, you tried, which is infinitely better than avoiding the situation just so you won't feel guilty about it. Trying to improve yourself is a victory in itself :)

And remember:

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, I understand you feel guilty, and you probably will feel so whatever people tell you. However, you tried, which is infinitely better than avoiding the situation just so you won't feel guilty about it. Trying to improve yourself is a victory in itself :)

And remember:
Haha oh lord. I'll be flippin men like tables.

·
Nightspirt
855 Posts
Considered getting jacked up on a pre-workout supplement? If you get the right one you'll be far too focused to be bothered by anyone else.

·
3,947 Posts
I failed (Y)
:hug

Don't give up!!! Try going later at night if you need to. I used to go sometimes 10-11 PM and I'd usually have the gym to myself. Focus on the reasons TO GO instead of the reasons NOT to go. Maybe look online for workout plans so you can go in and have a plan in mind....like a sequence of exercises/machines to use. Thinking about a plan might make you focus less on the anxiety.

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:hug

Don't give up!!! Try going later at night if you need to. I used to go sometimes 10-11 PM and I'd usually have the gym to myself. Focus on the reasons TO GO instead of the reasons NOT to go. Maybe look online for workout plans so you can go in and have a plan in mind....like a sequence of exercises/machines to use. Thinking about a plan might make you focus less on the anxiety.
The gym closes at 10 PM, so I want to go before lunch or early afternoon(to avoid crowds).

I already have a routine that I planned out earlier this fall(before I stopped going). The hard part is getting there.

I'm gonna try to focus on the positives, as you say. Mainly I just have to get there.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts