1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
12,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Sounds about right. I wonder if there are any differences in treatment styles between SA and APD.

·
SAS Member
2,774 Posts
Yeah, those symptoms fit me better than just SA. In fact, I don't really have anxiety at all. I'm not shy, I don't get panic attacks or feel nauseated in social situations. But I will not enter into a social interaction if I think I'll come out worse off from it. I have to be really convinced in my head that any kind of social interaction is "worth it".

Also:
Complications

Without treatment, a person with avoidant personality disorder may become resigned to a life of near or total isolation. They may go on to develop a second psychiatric disorder such as substance abuse or a mood disorder such as depression.
I also have a pretty severe depression. So I probably have AvPD and it's worsening.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
They may go on to develop a second psychiatric disorder such as substance abuse or a mood disorder such as depression.
Or both, why not?

Yup, I'm 99% sure I'm diagnosable with AVPD. And...so what? What practical difference does it make? Still have to overcome the fear of approaching others and the various beliefs that cause it in the first place, just as with social anxiety.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts
That definitely looks like me too, maybe more than SA since I don't get panic attacks.

I know I need help but I don't trust my doctor on a personal level...I'll go in there when my knee hurts and I need a referral to a physio, but I don't feel like I could say "I have anxiety/AvPD" to her.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I figured out a little over a year ago that I had avoidant personality disorder and not SA. Sense then life has been so much better. Nothing like spending years trying to cure something you didn't even have lol. Finding out what was really the problem has aloud me to see things differently and now my depression is completely gone.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I wonder if there are any differences in treatment styles between SA and APD.
The SA vs APD debate has been going on for as long as I've been around this board.

Thus far, nobody has been able to provide any clear distinction between the two. My view is that APD is just another (less common) way of saying severe SA.

I really love this suggestion from the article:

See your health care provider or a psychiatrist if shyness or fear of rejection overwhelms your ability to function in life and relationships.
What if it overwhelms your ability to see a health care provider?:stu

I'd also note that they term it "shyness" in the above quote, so we have yet another name for it. Pathological shyness seems to describe it too. Slap on any label you wish and it's still the same thing.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
That definitely looks like me too, maybe more than SA since I don't get panic attacks.
I don't recall panic attacks being listed in the DSM as being part of the official definition of SA.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
I have never been able to grasp the differences. Is the main difference simply that with SA you desire social contact and with AVPD you have no desire for it? I would think that often SA without treatment would eventually become AVPD?

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
AVPD people still desire social contact, just, well, avoid it. The difference seems to be a matter of degree to which the fear dominates life.

<sa person> I'm at a party trying to talk to a girl and I'm so nervous I can't think of a single word, oh god I have social anxiety so bad
<avpd person> you're at a what?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I have never been able to grasp the differences. Is the main difference simply that with SA you desire social contact and with AVPD you have no desire for it? I would think that often SA without treatment would eventually become AVPD?
No, it would be Schizoid Personality Disorder if you had no desire for social relationships. It's debated if that even deserves to be called a disorder, seeing how they feel just fine with having no friends and no intimate relationships. Hard to call something a disorder when the person "suffering" from it isn't suffering, feeling no distress at all simply being the loner that they are.

·
Banned
21 Posts
For the longest time I've been trying to differentiate between SA and AVPD

In a sense, they're both alike but also completely different.

Both have the fear of social situations, but AVPD is more of avoiding, and not being able to talk because of low self esteem and self-loathing. While social anxiety is having low self esteem because they're not able to communicate the way they want to. (Confusing I know)
An AVPD person would be able to communicate fine in certain situations, as long as the people are "deemed" safe in their mind, such as a conversation with fellow SAS members who are going through the same thing.
While a person with SA is scared of any type of social situation.

Hope I'm making sense here, took me awhile to figure out as well.

I think I associate myself more with AVPD
I'm more terrified of the relationships, and people, than the social situation itself.

·
always 4:20 somewhere
19 Posts
An AVPD person would be able to communicate fine in certain situations, as long as the people are "deemed" safe in their mind, such as a conversation with fellow SAS members who are going through the same thing.
But what about those with non-generalized SA? In those cases, not every social interaction causes fear. Having been diagnosed with both generalized SA and AvPD, I really have to say there's not much difference. The main difference in myself is that the AvPD seems to have come as part of an inferiority complex.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
Interesting you point this out, it fits me perfectly. In a store, in a restaurant, some business transaction where I know what's expected of me and what to expect, I do perfectly well. When that crossed into anything personal though I fall apart.

·
avast ye landlubbers
2,055 Posts
No, it would be Schizoid Personality Disorder if you had no desire for social relationships. It's debated if that even deserves to be called a disorder, seeing how they feel just fine with having no friends and no intimate relationships. Hard to call something a disorder when the person "suffering" from it isn't suffering, feeling no distress at all simply being the loner that they are.
To be honest Schizoid PD seems so vaguely written that everybody that could be vaguely called a loner sometimes, and given an active imagination, would qualify. And you're right about that last part, there's too much eagerness to call any deviation from the norm a 'disorder.' Check out for instance this. What a crippling condition wherein, uh.. a person likes going to bed late and getting up at the crack of noon? oh my the horror of it.

·
Banned
12,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
like others have said, I think it's more of this with me than SA.

·
Banned
12,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, those symptoms fit me better than just SA. In fact, I don't really have anxiety at all. I'm not shy, I don't get panic attacks or feel nauseated in social situations. But I will not enter into a social interaction if I think I'll come out worse off from it. I have to be really convinced in my head that any kind of social interaction is "worth it".
I'm like you except that I am shy.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
To be honest Schizoid PD seems so vaguely written that everybody that could be vaguely called a loner sometimes, and given an active imagination, would qualify.
A lot of disorders have overlapping symptoms. Think of how anxiety is listed as a symptom of depression -- yeah, and anxiety is also a symptom of every anxiety disorder!

One probably shouldn't have too active an imagination when reading the DSM, otherwise they'd likely find they suffer from many dozens of conditions (including hypochondriasis if they conclude such). Sort of like a first-year med student who gets a fever looking up every exotic disease that has fever as a symptom, instead of guessing the obvious & mundane cold or flu.

Personally, I describe Schizoid as SA, minus the anxiety. I strongly suspect my late father was schizoid, seeing how he showed a total lack of interest in anything social. He never displayed any fear though, just a lack of interest. Also hard to imagine that people scared him, given that he was a Realtor for the final 40 years of his life, a job that those with SA would avoid like the plague. I can't really imagine an SAS member working in real estate sales where dealing with clients in person and by phone is a huge part of the job.

And you're right about that last part, there's too much eagerness to call any deviation from the norm a 'disorder.' Check out for instance this. What a crippling condition wherein, uh.. a person likes going to bed late and getting up at the crack of noon? oh my the horror of it.
You found a new one there, one that sounds like my life. While pretty trivial as far as "disorders" go, I know from experience things are harder when you operate on a schedule that differs from everyone else.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Both have the fear of social situations, but AVPD is more of avoiding...
But isn't one with SA going to avoid social situations they fear?

I seem to be able to communicate reasonably well with other SAS members via PM and e-mail. Though, oddly, the person who knows me best on SAS and whom I've corresponded with for years I'd feel awkward talking to by phone. Not sure why that is.

Not sure I'd agree with that. SA varies greatly and it seems most of us have certain situations that we especially fear, and what situation that would be varies from person to person.

In any case, I'm not sure it really matters what label you stick on it. As noted from the start, the meds & treatment for each are the same so does it really matter?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts