Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following has happened most of my life. I will sometimes feel brave enough to contribute something I think is important to a discussion and no one will acknowledge what I've said. But when someone who's confident and good at banter and complimenting others says a similar thing, they get much acknowledgement and all the credit for having the same basic idea.

It's as though many people pay attention primarily to the social and emotional content of communication, not the actual words, so if you show undesirable body language your message and in some cases your existence is ignored.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Yeah i'm well familiar with that. It's like you feel since you're always the quiet one that now that you finally have something you wanna contribute that everyone's gonna listen and acknowledge you more, but nope, they just ignore you and then the next guy who's talkative and more social anyhow can say the same exact thing and get all the attention for it! It's funny how the other 95% of the time when you have to speak but DON'T want the attention people just zero in on you and make you feel 100x more uncomfortable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sort of sounds like instead of acknowledging what you had said, they're more focused on the fact that you said something, instead of what you actually said. But don't let that discourage you, at least you were brave enough to speak up!

·
Banned
136 Posts
I see that others have experienced the same thing. At least I know that this doesn't happen because everyone thinks I'm a freak or an idiot. It often feels like I've said or done something wrong because everyone seems to quite down at the same time or one or two people look down or away.
When I am quiet I absolutely hate when people ask me why I'm not talking or when they assume that I'm bored or sad. There are times where I just don't feel like talking because I don't know the people around me or I don't know enough about the subject being discussed to contribute to the conversation. Is it not possible for a person to just not want to talk or be talked to? I think it's actually wise not to put in your two cents if you don't know what everyone else is discussing. Then you really risk looking stupid. Well, it doesn't hurt to ask questions though.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The following has happened most of my life. I will sometimes feel brave enough to contribute something I think is important to a discussion, but no one will acknowledge what I've said. However, when someone who's confident, and good at banter and complimenting others says a similar thing, they get much acknowledgement and all the credit for having the same basic idea.

It seems that many people pay attention primarily to the social and emotional content of communication, not the actual words; so if you convey undesirable body-language etc., your message, and in some cases, your existence, is ignored.
Absolutely. One thing I've noticed is that this applies particularly well to humor. I can make the exact same witty or sarcastic comment as someone who's loud, obnoxious, and preconceived as being funny by others, and it will barely be acknowledged. I think humor is more about expectations and verifying that one "fits in" socially than actual content for a lot of people. Unfortunately, as you allude to, this phenomenon is somewhat true for all types of exchanges and interactions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts