Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

If you're a nonsmoker, would you date a smoker?

• Yes

Votes: 40 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 63 61.2%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm sorry but I most certainly would not date a smoker. Besides the fact that i'm asthmatic, I really don't want a partner that would not only be killing himself, but taking life off me and any children we had together.

There's also the whole issue of bad breath, yellow teeth, the horrible stench of smoke, the cost of the cigarettes themselves (they would drain the finances), the house, me, him and children smelling of smoke. I won't go near a smoker, let alone date one.

I'm sorry if I come off a little harsh, but I have very strong views when it comes to smokers and smoking.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
I could, but it would be on the condition that she starts trying to quit and does within 2 months. I know that's kinda hard to ask, and as much as I think it would be great to look beyond something like that, I actually am hypersensitive to cigarette smoke and couldn't pull it of for a prolonged period of time.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
And the comments here are indicative of why I always smoke alone and lie about my cigarette habit.

BTW - Not all smokers have yellow teeth and bad breath and reek of smoke. You're thinking of pack a day smokers. Casual ones look just like non-smokers, really.

Would I date a smoker? Sure.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I just quit so that is a tough call. My fear would be that I would be tempted to join them. I have friends who smoke and it is a challenge to be around them without wanting to smoke. It's my smoking downfall. I don't want to smoke, so I think maybe the answer would be no.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
no

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Well, I'd be open to it. As shyvr said, if we clicked really well...

Thing is, I can't be around second-hand smoke. If she smoked in the car or her house, or had to go to the "smoking section" in public places.. that would present a problem. I wouldn't see it working unless she was a light smoker.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would. But only because I'm so incredibly desperate and lonely :(
I'll literally take anything. Shoot heroin? Eat dogpoo? I don't care!

If I wasn't desperate though, I wouldn't date a smoker. They'd annoy the hell out of me.

I mean... In 2009, what sort of person actually STILL smokes?
It's not fashionable anymore. It's harmful to your health. You're herded into "designated smoking areas" like you're a leper.

Back when smoking was healthy, glamorous and sexy:

Smoking today:

But as I say, I'll take anything.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Yes, I would. Smoking is unhealthy, sure, but so is all that **** many of you shovel down your throats daily.
Exactly.

I love how people assume all smokers are these rude 3 pack a day blowing it in your face, horrible people with yellow teeth and bad breath. That is hilarious.

Its fine if you dont want to be around smoke, your prerogative, but not all smokers are horrible people.

I wouldnt discount a potential partner because they smoke. As long as someone isnt rude about it, I wouldnt see the problem. Sure its better to quit but there are six million other potentially hazardous things people do.

Of course I smoke socially so I am sure that makes me a horrible monster of a person. Where is that SA people are nicer and more empathetic thread??? :lol :rofl Kidding...kidding.... :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts