Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Not sure if you are referring to a Christian idea of God. Moving away from that to a general idea of a God, there's always the possibility that, if God exists, hesheit turns out to reward people not so much based on blind faith, but on beliefs/good acts arrived at by logic and rationality. Such a god would allow atheists into heaven.

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
Not sure if you are referring to a Christian idea of God. Moving away from that to a general idea of a God, there's always the possibility that, if God exists, hesheit turns out to reward people not so much based on blind faith, but on beliefs/good acts arrived at by logic and rationality. Such a god would allow atheists into heaven.
This is what i was getting at. If you are open to the idea of a universal god that transcends manmade religions, then the christian view of the afterlife is not valid.

I think it is much more reasonable that "god" acts as an indifferent force when ones fate is decided after death. I do not believe in an eternal hell, although people who are rotten in life I believe will have to experience the suffering they caused. This way , an atheist with a heart of gold would be received with all of gods love ... and a christian who led an evil life and was counting on the gospel to wipe his transgressions clean would meet his demons face to face.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If there is a God then he would be a supreme being, without an ego. If God doesn't have an ego then why would he care about who worshipped him and who did not? Why would he care about whether you are a Christian, Jew, Muslim, or Athiest?

If he really is so concerned with how you worship him then he has a hell of an ego, and is basically determining who gets into 'heaven' based on where they were born geographically since that's the determining factor for ones beliefs 99% of the time. Surely there is a better way to judge who is worth keeping around, and someone as wise as God would surely figure that out!

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I don't wish to go to Heaven NOR Hell, I just wish to cease to exist. To cease to exist is total and absolute bliss as it is the total absence of pain and suffering, that which even Heaven does not promise. Even Heaven says we will all be judged for what we have done in this life, judgement implies some sort of pain or suffering or negative feelings for which my paradise, the ceasing to exist one, the one that really is going to happen, has none of. There will be NO regrets when you cease to exist cause you simply feel nothing because you can't because you DON'T EXIST! How come God didn't want to care about people like me? Those that don't want eternal life? Those that enjoyed ceasing to exist before they were brought into this world and would GLADLY enjoy being returned to that state from which (at least I) was so rudely removed from! Why doesn't he give this as an option? It's cause hes selfish. God wasn't lying when he made man in his image. What is man? Man is inherently selfish and greedy. I for one do not need an entire race of beings to be forced into kissing my feet(worshiping) at by gunpoint (only at the threat of a gunpoint amplified to the threat of T x 10^∞) to choose to kiss his feet or burn in Hell for eternity.

These people that say they wish to live an everlasting life(live to the point of ∞) do not understand what infinity is, nor do they even have a whisper of what it really is, how long that state of time is. You ask ANY 100 year old man if given the choice, if they wanted to live ANOTHER 100 years, if they would choose to or not, they would ALL choose NOT to. 100 yrs:∞ yrs isn't even within light years of coming close to the ratios being equalities to the ratio of 0.1 sec x 10^(-18):1,000,000,000 (1 Billion yrs). Just a bunch of blind sheep who know not what they wish for.

During that point of time, think of anything you desire most in this world, whether it be a chocolate cake slice or an orgasm, and think of having that cake slice or orgasm 1,000,000,000 times over, would it still be desirable anymore? The answer is no! So you would move onto the next thing. Say if you got bored standing on that 1ft² for a billion years, you could then stand on every ft² in the entire universe, 1 billion times over and still not run out of time, but surely you would run out of sanity and any ounce of pleasure. IMO Heaven is just a time delayed version of Hell, where Heaven becomes Hell at the point near t = +∞. But of course even at that point you still can't cease to exist, you gotta keep kissing God's feet, oh what joy...

Why not save us ALL the trouble and BOREDOM(hope you got bored from reading this post, and you still haven't heard a whisper at the unimaginable boredom hell it would be existing forever in either Heaven or Hell) and just let us CEASE TO EXIST! That is how we were before we came into consciousness and that is how any rational person would wish to return to! If of course someone has the argument that we won't be able to feel boredom or we will have some endlessly supply of dopaminergic orgasms, then we aren't us anymore. It will just be some shell with our memories in it, no longer our 'soul' anymore cause it will be altered beyond recognition of it's original specifications. In that case, if he wants some mindless body zombie clone versions that if even vaguely resemble our previous selves in this world, then go ahead, cause that's the only person who would wanna be friends with that kind of selfish God.

End of rant 00278520995 of n, about Christianity religion and why I hate everything it supposedly stands for.

*snaps back to reality!*

Boy it was fun devoting such a small insignificant fraction of my mind to playing out this possible(yet very improbable) scenario in where the Christian after-life was anything but a fantasy conjured up to help those who cannot accept their own mortality thus selfishly spend their remainder of their time in this life standing in line trying to buy themselves time.

·
Allons-y!
356 Posts
I know you won't like to hear this---but the scriptures say that you must except Christ as your propitiation. It says that none of us can be good enough to be in the presence of God. That is why He made a way for us to enter into heaven; through the sacrifice of His son Jesus Christ. There is a price for all sin. Christ paid that price. Once you have been told you must make a choice. I believe that those who die before hearing the message are given a chance to choose when they meet Christ. Many will dismiss this as bunk and find all kinds of ways to argue the legitimacy of the salvation plan. But each one must decide for themselves when presented with the evidence available. How much evidence does one need? For some there will never be enough.
Under the christian faith this is pretty much it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like everything gets on your nerves. And no, what I said isn't un-Christian because if you were really interested you would grab a bible, learn what the gospels say and investigate with an open mind. I don't and won't argue scripture or faith. When I became curious about God in my late 20s I sought out answers to my questions on my own. It's not hard to find. It was scripture that convinced me, not people.
I have read the Bible several times on my frequent 10 hour bus trips back home. I guess God just doesn't want me.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I don't think this was a troll post but if it was, 11/10. I couldn't come up with a better post to get people bickering. :b

Anyway, it depends on who you ask. If you believe in heaven just because your religion says so, I don't understand why you'd doubt them when they describe the rules to get in. Aside from the fact that you're probably disgusted by the pointless cruelty of it. Here's a few views on getting into heaven.

According to mainstream Christianity, every atheist is going to burn in hell, kept company by all the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, pagans, Sikhs, etc, who ever lived.

According to the Mormons, you need to be a Mormon to get into the best heaven, but there's a bronze medal heaven the rest of us can get into.

According to the Jehovah's witnesses, all but 144,000 human will be obliterated and cease to exist after death. The 144,000 will be select members of their faith.

The Jews don't really have a strong stance on heaven. It isn't really the focus of the Old Testament.

In Islam it depends on who you ask. You don't technically need to be a Muslim to get into "Muslim heaven" but your good deeds need to outweigh your sins, and I'm pretty sure being an atheist is something they'd count as a sin. Really being anything than a Muslim would put you at a steep handicap (if you're not living as a Muslim you're probably constantly sinning in Allah's eyes since you don't know what to avoid)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
According to the Christian Bible, you must be "saved" to enter the heaven of which it speaks; therefore, an atheist, at time of death, would not enter heaven.

·
Powering through.
1,799 Posts
I don't and won't argue scripture or faith.
Strange, I've seen dozens of posts in which you've argued scripture and faith.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
There actually is a denomination/line of thinking (some kind of ism) that believes non-christians go to heaven as well. The idea behind it is that even if someone consciously denies "God", if they're a good person that means they're subconsciously a christian- only a christian could lead a godly life after all.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

Also, Judaism says that everyone goes through a kind of purgatory, and how good of a person you were dictates how long that purgatory lasts. So they believe in salvation for non-believers.

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
We cannot put God in a box of our own understanding; but must except that there are mysteries about God that we will not know in this world.
Exactly!!!

So...

how can you assume this

He will not force anyone to love Him and except His provision for reconciliation (Christ's Sacrifice.)
If he is benevolent and all knowing and we cannot know his mysteries in this life, then how can we assume that this one manmade religion has the right answer?

Why would he have only one specific way to get to heaven? and why would this one way be tied to a fear based religion with a very bloody and evil history?

is god playing a cruel joke on us?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
matthew
31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' 40 And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers [brothers and sisters], you did it to me.'
41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' 44 Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' 45 Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

1 - 20 of 56 Posts