Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As you probably have guessed I'm a mess socially, cursed with the inability to communicate with my peers. It was only recently that I figured out what was wrong, why I get that blank and panic-y feeling when someone says hey or why I take different routes at school to avoid bumping into people I know. It's nice to know there are others out their with the same problem.

Ironically my favorite thing to do is get up in front of people and act, something i'm "supposedly" good at (so say the phonies, i'll never know) Maybe its the rush of emotion I feel when I step into another characters skin, being given the words to say in a body that isn't mine feels so comfortable. The only problem is that people come up to me and talk to me about my performances, and I don't know if it's me they want to talk to, or my character.

(P.S. I'm a total english nerd)

·
Sea Angel
27 Posts
Hiya.. welcome to the forums. I hope you find the support and peers you're looking for here..

I think acting kind of taps into different parts of the brain than regular socializing; I can act decently well and use to do roleplay scenarios whenever I had to do presentations and they turned out okay.. unlike when I spoke as myself, and fumbled and froze up constantly and went into a quivering mess. Sometimes when I had to answer to personal questions, I'd just act out another character - one sort of like me, close enough to answer the question, but still different enough to feel like a distinct character role. It worked for me a little bit, maybe something like that would help you? (I doubt Holden would approve of something so phony though!) Regardless, I do hope you find some way or some people you can be yourself comfortably with..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hiya.. welcome to the forums. I hope you find the support and peers you're looking for here..

I think acting kind of taps into different parts of the brain than regular socializing; I can act decently well and use to do roleplay scenarios whenever I had to do presentations and they turned out okay.. unlike when I spoke as myself, and fumbled and froze up constantly and went into a quivering mess. Sometimes when I had to answer to personal questions, I'd just act out another character - one sort of like me, close enough to answer the question, but still different enough to feel like a distinct character role. It worked for me a little bit, maybe something like that would help you? (I doubt Holden would approve of something so phony though!) Regardless, I do hope you find some way or some people you can be yourself comfortably with..
Hey,

First off thanks for actually responding to what I wrote.

Acting like a character close to yourself has mildly worked for me before in the past, this is how I feel built most of my friendships. The problem is, while it works short term, you sort of get stuck in a jut, your always the guy cracking jokes or whatever. When you just wanna chill down and hang with your friends it's awkward and it feels like they expect something from you, playing something else starts to really tire me out after awhile. Have you felt this?

(As for holden he's pretty much acting different for different people all the time anyway, what a hippocrite :p)

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Welcome to SAS :wel

·
Sea Angel
27 Posts
Hey,

First off thanks for actually responding to what I wrote.

Acting like a character close to yourself has mildly worked for me before in the past, this is how I feel built most of my friendships. The problem is, while it works short term, you sort of get stuck in a jut, your always the guy cracking jokes or whatever. When you just wanna chill down and hang with your friends it's awkward and it feels like they expect something from you, playing something else starts to really tire me out after awhile. Have you felt this?

(As for holden he's pretty much acting different for different people all the time anyway, what a hippocrite :p)
You're welcome!

Um, yes, I kind of do know what you mean... It feels like I was acting out a character for other people for the first 22 years of my life and it was very, very exhausting... It's really not a very good or comfortable way to make friends unfortunately, it always feels a little bit soul draining when you can't be your genuine self around people.. But it works for other things sometimes, as a kind of survival method, I suppose...

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, HoldenCaufield! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, Holden
Might have to try acting myself - I see how it could work, especially if it's like yourself but perhaps just a more confident version?! I remember when I was in high school I had a very confident friend and sometimes when I needed to I would pretend I was her and that helped me - for a little while. Can be draining though and it needs to be kept up with otherwise people might wonder why good some days/not so good other days ... but I found your post interesting and helpful

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey HoldenCaufield welcome. :hyper

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello, I was never very good at the acting thing. But I think im about to contradict myself a bit here, but I would describe myself as never being able to be my true self. I wonder if drama therpy would be helpful for SA?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts