Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

If you live with your parents...

357 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AshenSpirit 
#1 ·
do you feel you have to lie about things? I don't know because I've never had a boyfriend or anything before. I have one friend who stays at her boyfriend's most of the time so her parents obviously know that. Another friend when she stays at her boyfriend's will just say she's staying at a friends or something. Since my boyfriend got his own place he's wanting me to stay over alot I stayed over once and told my mum I was going out with a friend and staying at hers. I'll feel bad if I have to keep lying but I don't feel I can be honest because my mum gets kind of overprotective and it's just awkward to say to my parents. I'm twenty though so I should be able to do what I want it's just awkward when you're still at home, for some of us anyway. I said I'd stay tonight and don't want to cancel at the last minute but I don't really feel like I can. It's just awkward at the moment because I'm working til after nine every night then reasonably early the next day. I'm wanting to look for my own place anyway mostly so I feel I can have a bit more freedom but I'm not sure I can affort it on my own.

#2 ·
Just tell them the truth, they would have no reason to be overprotective or disappointed you are staying at your boyfriends house, I mean if anything I would hope they would be proud of you, proud you have found someone and moving on in life.

If you keep telling porkies they will eventually find out and it will just lead to more trouble than it's worth.

#4 ·
They do know that I'm seeing him I talk about him. My parent's ARE somewhat overprotective though they generally treat me like a child and I feel like I have to go along with that. Even my sister never had people over and stuff until she moved out. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl or because I'm the youngest or what but I don't feel I can be completely up front.

I didn't stay over tonight and I feel bad about it... because it was me who said I would. I deffinately do want to move out anyway it's too suppressive it's not good for me. I'm scared that if things go wrong then I'll be all alone and have a breakdown how I do and no distractions if I'm alone. But I should be thinking about what's good now instead of thinking like that. And he told me that too. I'm SO scared. I really need to see him but the only time he asks to see me at the moment is asking me to stay over I just want to see him and talk to him that's all there never seems to be time. My stupid useless job's pissing me off.

#6 ·
I never had to lie because I've never had a GF. But if I did have one, I'd be honest about it. I'm 28 and can do what I want.

You're 20 and sometimes the only way to break away from overprotective parents is to just stop putting their opinion first. Do what you want and if they complain, tell them that you're 20 freakin years old!!

#7 ·
I can't lie. LOL. I don't really hang with anyone to make excuses so they'll know I am with him. Even though i'm 22 my parents are still overprotective of me. Just cause I am a girl and live under their roof. They don't treat my older bros the same as me especially when they were younger :-/ Ugh I can't wait to move out.

#9 ·
I stayed at his last night and they knew I was over there because he was having a sort of gathering. My mum texted me and said just let us know what you're doing if you're coming back or staying at his... so I said a few of us stayed which was true. I also said I'd missed the bus which I'm sure I had by that time then when I saw my dad he's like "yeah, you missed the bus" (sarcasm) and I was like... um... awkward... then he said "you just couldn't be bothered getting a bus and train at that time"... erm... fair enough.

Well I guess it's something I didn't feel I had to lie.

#10 ·
Parents don't like their daughters/kids having sex--especially when they are still living there and they have to worry about breakups, diseases, pregnancy, children, abusive bfs, etc, etc.

It puts a lot of undue stress on them, but sadly that's the way things are for many people with the crappy economy and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.