Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you like movies, TV series and/or novels, then you probably have found people interesting.

The people in the book / movie / show. At least the protagonist.

This is a follow up to a previous related thread,
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f40/are-you-a-friend-84209/index2.html#post1300963
"Are you a friend?", in which I questioned why I just don't seem truly interested in others. Even people I like. Something's just missing.

So here's the question:

And yet we care about protagonists in movies, TV and books! AHA!

I do care about people sometimes. When you watch a movie, TV or read a book and you care about the protagonist.

Why do you care about that person?

I think it's because you see - feel - things from his/her perspective, but it must be more than that.

If I understood that, maybe I could recreate conditions with people face-to-face so I can have that same page-turning interest.

Btw I am busy with a Scrubs marathon. Just finished discovering Season 1.

What is it about fictional people, even if they're not even that likeable necessarily?

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Maybe it's because people in movies, TV and books don't actually represent any kind of threat. It's harder to want to be friends with, and hence, be interested in, a person who terrifies you. For a lot of us, everyone we meet in real life=people who terrify us.

People are interested in the lives of other people. Maybe we'd be more interested in the lives of real people if they didn't make us so nervous, or if we weren't so certain that "This friendship won't work out because I suck at socializing. Caring about the other person will just end up hurting me in the end."

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I tend to watch a lot of deep, depressing dramas where the protagonist is severely depressed, psychotic or going off of the rails. Mainly Japanese/Korean films, but some Western stuff is good too... Edward Norton films are probably the best: Fight Club, The 25th Hour etc.

So, it's more of a comforting thing than actually caring about people. I see other people "up-****-creek without a paddle" and relate/feel better about myself. Much like viewing a 'screen play' version of the Frustration forum. :D

Also just "beautiful" films. The type that temporarily restore your faith in humanity. In real life, I have all the time in the world for open-minded, respectful, caring people. So, films about people showing compassion etc really lift my spirits, as I see so few in everyday life.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't like movies or TV, but I do find myself connecting deeply with characters in books. I learn to love them and when the book is over I am often sad that I will never hear about them or their lives anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts