Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
I always have things to talk about, I hate it when I see people go on about boring stuff just to keep a dying conversation going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
same here...thats what ive always thought and i still do but im trying to work my way AWAY from that mind set..it doesnt seem to be working

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I feel like I've had this phrase instilled in my head since childhood.

What about you?
Actually, in spite of my SA, all of my life, I've had a bad habit of talking too much (once I break the ice with someone and get to know them a bit) and making a damn fool out of myself. Or maybe that's not the way to say it. I'm not sure how to put it. I get too comfortable with some people (under the illusion that they are more accepting people than they actually are) and don't really hold anything back. And then one day I find they don't respect me as much as they did when we first met.

It seems like I have two modes. I'm either terrified of someone or I'm so comfortable with them I'll tell them anything that crosses my mind.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Actually, in spite of my SA, all of my life, I've had a bad habit of talking too much (once I break the ice with someone and get to know them a bit) and making a damn fool out of myself. Or maybe that's not the way to say it. I'm not sure how to put it. I get too comfortable with some people (under the illusion that they are more accepting people than they actually are) and don't really hold anything back. And then one day I find they don't respect me as much as they did when we first met.
I can relate to some of this. I am generally a negative person and can find something wrong with everything, including myself (I'm a perfectionist so go figure). However, I'm more of a "wow that's great. Now how can you improve it?" type person. All of this, of course, is generally with people I am comfortable with. With people I am not comfortable with, I will probably just feign positivity ( I do that anyway with strangers).
I think the people who dislike my, so called, "constructive criticism" (I alyways have a basis for my comments) tend to be the people who dislike criticsm in general.

·
Banned
877 Posts
This is one of the many codes of conduct that I live by. Idle talk just seems so random and pointless, that it becomes a total drag trying to keep the conversation alive, since you're virtually talking about nothing (Conversations like these will end abruptly in a few sentences). Then comes the awkward silence. I save myself the trouble and don't say anything at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts