Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think it cancels itself out, im pretty sure if one of u teleported infront of me right now i wouldnt be scared of u.

when i get rich im gonna build the sas HQ dedicated to curing ppl s/a

·
Amazing
363 Posts
I'm not sure. I think I would be more comfortable because the other person would know how I was feeling, but then again, if you put two shy people in a room together, they would probably stare at the floor.
I just don't know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually, I have experience here.

One person is a young girl, 20 now. She is basically a spoiled brat. She met an only child of rich parents and is basically doing everything she can to stay aboard that ship. Nobody tells her no because she will throw a fit if you tell her no. When she is part of a group, the group has to do what she wants to do. I was nice to her for a while but I pretty much gave up just because she was just flat out [annoying].

Secondly, I had a roommate who most likely had SA. It was somewhat annoying having someone who wanted to go with you everywhere because he couldn't get his own friends.

Did I exhibit my SA around these people? Not really? Seeing how they acted has really helped me exhibit some more normal tendencies, but not as many as I could have.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am more comfortable with people who are quieter. I can let go and be myself because I feel like I have nothing to prove with them and feel like they won't judge me. There's no expectations put on me.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I'm sure I would still be anxious around someone else with sa. I've gone on social phobics anonymous phone conferences and haven't been able to speak. I would do better one on one, because it would be too awkward not to speak. I would like to meet someone else with SA, though. I'm sure that after the first awkward stages it would be easier to be around them than someone without SA. It would be nice to hang out with someone who can relate to what I'm going through.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I am more comfortable but still awkward and anxious around people that I think understand. I am quiet, regardless of how anxious I am or am not feeling, around anyone I do not know well.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I been in that situation and I basically ended up taking the initiative to ask questions, but we were both still pretty quiet.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
i think it cancels itself out, im pretty sure if one of u teleported infront of me right now i wouldn't be scared of u.
Oh, really? Most of the SAS members who've ever been brave enough to call me have been intoxicated to one degree or another just to get up the courage.

I've talked to probably 15 or so SAS members by phone out of more than a hundred who've had my phone #. Few are brave enough to even talk on the phone and I should be easy to talk to as you're going to have one hell of a hard time seeming odd compared to the exceptional standard of oddness I set.

In six and a half years on this board, there has been a grand total of ONE gathering of SAS members in the Milwaukee area. A whopping 5 people (if I count myself) showed up for that gathering 3 years ago. Someone from Madison was trying to set up another SAS gathering and she simply gave up due to how exceedingly difficult it is to get SAS members to agree to come -- it's as if they're afraid of people, even afraid of people who are afraid of people.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I must be honest, I can always act comfortable when meeting people for the first time, but behind the curtains paints a very different picture.

I'm never really comfortable until I've known people for awhile and even then anxiety can shine through like a lighthouse on a beacon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That would be a dream come true for me. I would probably be nervous before said meeting, however I don't think I would be anxious after some interaction took place, I've always been calmer around shy people.

·
Poster of Random Nothings
47 Posts
I think I would be a little nervous at first if I didn't know they had SA.

I know that if I'm quiet and just observing around a group of people that I might only know by association, they immediately assume that I dislike them. If someone was like that around me I would probably assume the same thing. In a one-on-one situation I'm usually alright though. Maybe I'm just secretive instead of strictly having SA. I know that I dislike having any third parties knowing what I say or do for fear of embarrassment. I used to run when I could, but in the daylight? Never.

So, it would depend. If I knew that the person had SA, I would probably ask to talk to them in private and just make small talk or let them lead the conversation. Try to help make you comfortable.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think it depends on the person. My younger brother has SA and we talk, but there is a slight awkwardness there (probably because we were brought up to be quiet, so we both go back into quiet mode when we're around each other). On the other hand i've spoken to another person with SA, and we have got on well. I think this is probably because we were both relieved that we understood how each of us were feeling, and so relaxed around each other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
your post reminds me of a show I watched the other day called,"1000 ways to die"I think and they said that this one couple was married for 7 years and never consimated(don't know if thats right.lol)their marriage.Everytime they tried they would both have panic attacks and had to stop.They finally did and both had heartattacks and died together right there.Thats just crazy.
Anyway I would like to think that if I were to actually meet anyone with the same problem we would hit it off right away because we would have alot to talk about.I would be happy to have a friend who understands what I'm going through that I can actually look at and work with at trying to say goodbye to the problem together.Its like excersizing.Its easier to be motivated when someone is exersizing with you,or looks stupid with you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I said in my other post that I'd like to think I would be comfortable but I really don't think that I would at least at first.Knowing that they have it too would make me want to make them comfortable which also may distract me from myself.So I guess my real answer is,I DON'T KNOW.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depends. If I can tell that a person is shy or feeling uncomfortable, it's much easier for me to approach them or keep the conversation going because I understand how they feel and am not worried if they'll like me or not so much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm sure I would still have anxiety. It depends on their other characteristics as well how quickly I would become comfortable around them, if at all. I'm not real comfortable around people who have no sense of humor for instance because I rely on that a lot to make myself comfortable. If they were real serious or depressive, I wouldn't know how to deal with that -- I'd be extremely anxious. I don't know. I think comfort level is based on a lot of things. Certain people I just feel sort of comfortable with right off the bat, and others I never get comfortable with. I guess I'd feel like they were probably accepting of my SA, but there's a lot more to me than just that; what if they weren't accepting of anything else about me and had no sense of humor? Yikes! So I guess my answer is yes, I'd still have SA around them at least in the beginning for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts