What about if you formed an Anarchist Government? What laws might you pass? :b

·
SAS Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Atheist... Church...

What about if you formed an Anarchist Government? What laws might you pass? :b
Hey, I see what you did there!

My idea of an atheist church would be fairly tongue-in-cheek. What would actually take place in it is a mix of self-development and entertainment. I thought of making a thread on the topic. I still might.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey, I see what you did there!

My idea of an atheist church would be fairly tongue-in-cheek. What would actually take place in it is a mix of self-development and entertainment. I thought of making a thread on the topic. I still might.
Please don't use church to address an atheist gathering. The word church by definition may mean a place where citizens of a town gather, but its current usage is so rife with disgusting religious connotations, that it's not appropriate to have that word ever be used to describe a place where atheists can meet. Maybe call it a hall or forum.

In case that wasn't clear, I think it's offensive to atheists to call it a church, not the other way around (I.e. being offensive to Christians for using the word church for an atheist gathering).

·
~ in the ether ~
611 Posts
Yeah, if I was going to start something for Atheists, it'd be more along the lines of a library.... With maybe a lounge attached. :)

·
SAS Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please don't use church to address an atheist gathering. The word church by definition may mean a place where citizens of a town gather, but its current usage is so rife with disgusting religious connotations, that it's not appropriate to have that word ever be used to describe a place where atheists can meet. Maybe call it a hall or forum.

In case that wasn't clear, I think it's offensive to atheists to call it a church, not the other way around (I.e. being offensive to Christians for using the word church for an atheist gathering).
Atheists don't have churches.
Yeah, if I was going to start something for Atheists, it'd be more along the lines of a library.... With maybe a lounge attached. :)
I looked up the definition of 'church' to find that it does have a Christianity undertone to it. Hmmmm I still like the ring of "Atheist Church," especially in a Christian-majority area. It'd spur curiosity. I guess "church" is the wrong word by definition, though *sigh*.

·
Banned
339 Posts
For me being an atheist simply means not accepting things without proof, to be critical and think for myself. I don't need to meet weekly at a gathering with fellow atheists to reinforce my beliefs/stances. It's just not necessary.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Replace 'church' with 'support group' and that song with... a better song and I'd join.

·
SAS Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me being an atheist simply means not accepting things without proof, to be critical and think for myself. I don't need to meet weekly at a gathering with fellow atheists to reinforce my beliefs/stances. It's just not necessary.
Surveys find religious institution attendance to positively correlate with happiness, but not religion apart from that. Having been on both sides of the fence, I can say that church attendance and activities did make me happier, and the reason was the social element.

Replace 'church' with 'support group' and that song with... a better song and I'd join.
Hehe, the song's funny if you like the idea of making fun of a raging rant while simultaneously glorifying it. Also, the tone is similar to a number of soft songs that were done in many church services I've been to.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Surveys find religious institution attendance to positively correlate with happiness, but not religion apart from that. Having been on both sides of the fence, I can say that church attendance and activities did make me happier, and the reason was the social element.
Fair enough. I would just call it something other than "atheist church" not just due to reasons of semantics but also the idea of gathering and discussing about our non-belief. That seems apt to end up like a religion itself.

I think Richard Dawkins once mentioned a need for some sort of weekly social gathering like you are suggesting but also noted that there should be no preaching as trying to herd atheists is like heading cats, they are too independently minded to lend themselves to that sort of thing.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
I think Richard Dawkins once mentioned a need for some sort of weekly social gathering like you are suggesting but also noted that there should be no preaching as trying to herd atheists is like heading cats, they are too independently minded to lend themselves to that sort of thing.
Yes, which is why they listen to people like Richard Dawkins :teeth.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Yes, which is why they listen to people like Richard Dawkins :teeth.
There's a big difference between listening to someone and allowing yourself to be herded by them. If you don't listen to anyone for the sake of being a complete free thinker then you won't be a very smart one. Since I am not an expert on every subject I have to take the word to some extent of those who are. The difference between say a Jesus follower and a Dawkins listener is that if Dawkins came out tomorrow and said some extravagant hard to believe thing or tried to establish himself as more than a mere mortal the Dawkins listeners won't swallow it up blindly as the Jesus ones will. Of course there are exceptions on both sides, I'm sure there are a few so called atheists who see him as some deity and Christians who see Jesus as nothing more than a non supernatural example to live by. But the majorities are still bent that way on their respective sides.

As for my feelings towards Dawkins, I never followed him beyond watching a few of his lectures and debates on YouTube. I have to admit I get a chuckle when he goes hard mode against theists without pulling any punches. I like Sam Harris as well. I think we need more people who spread the atheist message so more people wake up. But that's really it. I don't admire these people, I'm just glad they are doing what they are doing.

·
SAS Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fair enough. I would just call it something other than "atheist church" not just due to reasons of semantics but also the idea of gathering and discussing about our non-belief. That seems apt to end up like a religion itself.
I see a use for an atheist regular gathering in religion-majority areas.

I mentioned the self-development (right term if taught by someone else?) and entertainment angles. I do like preaching, however, but done with a tongue-in-cheek undertone. Part of the purpose would be to draw people in. I think a predominantly light-hearted vibe as opposed to serious business is important for making the concept work. This will help shed notions of atheists being rebellious god-haters.

I believe there's a place like that already... called Barnes & Noble ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts