Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's been 3 months since the last time I exercised, all of this time I've been binge eating unhealthy foods like pizza, I will eat it again later today just like I did yesterday but I really do want to start eating better and exercising tomorrow and want to last 3 months doing this which would be the maximum, the longest I lasted was 8 weeks then I go back to binge eating

some fools I see them from the mirror or just straight at their face that they are smiling, when I exercise I do cardio, I like cardio but I'll only do like 10 pushups and lift 10lbs dumbbells and do curls like 30 on each arm, that's it with lifting weights, I'm lazy when it comes to that and it hurts my arm, so the bodybuilder freaks are just looking at me and smiling at me which makes me not want to do anything with weights there, its the only weights I plan to lift anyway, I only do it so my muscles have a shape to them, that's it, because they are really flat, I look weak as hell lol

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeah, don't do 30 curls with 10 pound dumbbells in the gym if you are male.
so why have it available? they even have 5lbs, if they only want females to do it then they should buy them in pink color, what the hell now when I do decide to exercise I will have to buy it and it costs a lot.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doing 30 curls with a light weight won't appreciably help your biceps. it is just slightly better than doing nothing.

try to use a weight you can only do 10-15 times and do multiple sets. push-ups are great, keep doing those. if you can do pull-ups, those will help too.
I hate pull ups, I don't even like push ups and I hate lifting weights, I'm so out of shape right now, it's been 3 months of binge eating, the longest I've lifted 10 lbs was for 3 weeks and I only did it 2 times a week, thats it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dude we all start somewhere. I used to be like you, started curling 10lb. Bodybuilders & powerlifters at my gym would laugh but i just shrug it off. Now i can do way more than that. Don't let them intimidate you. Just focus on yourself and keep lifting!

·
Registered
4 Posts
doing 30 curls with a light weight won't appreciably help your biceps. it is just slightly better than doing nothing.

try to use a weight you can only do 10-15 times and do multiple sets. push-ups are great, keep doing those. if you can do pull-ups, those will help too.
there's nothing wrong with doing high rep sets with low weight :S it is used to bring the definition out :S doing low reps with high weight will make you stronger though.

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
I do pull ups,push ups,sit ups in the comfort of my home and everybody says am in good shape.Trust me you don't need a gym.Gym is like a douchebag heaven.

·
Stoicism / ACT / CFT
11,901 Posts
I think you need to consider the best ways to do what you want to do. There isn't any point in going to the gym and doing light weight dumbell curls, it won't achieve any possible objective you might have (unless that objective is to lift light weight dumbells).

If I had to guess, it sounds like you want to:

1)Lose weight
2)Gain muscle

Since you mention you are binge eating, I think your main objective is to get that under control (former binge eater here btw) first. For losing weight forget exercise until you have your diet under control - with the exception of -

Lift heavy weights, compound movements if you are up for it. Forget any kind of curl or isolating movement, its just a waste of time.

Here is the basics for what you do to lose weight:

1)Eat a calorific deficit 500-1000 kcals per day. (1-2lb loss per week)
2)Eat somewhere in the region of 0.6 - 1g of protein per lean lb of bodyweight (aim for 100+g per day and you will probably be ok)
3)Lift heavy weights, compound movements (squat, bench press, military press, bent over rows, deadlifts)

If you don't want to do the weights, dont, its not the end of the world. But you WILL benefit from as little as 10 heavy sets total twice a week, as your body will hold onto more muscle mass as you cut.

Here is the basics for what you do to gain muscle:

1)Eat a calorific surplus 200-500 kcals per day (keep it lower to stay leaner).
2)Eat somewhere in the region of 0.6 - 1g of protein per lean lb of bodyweight (aim for 100+g per day and you will probably be ok)
3)Lift heavy weights, compound movements (squat, bench press, military press, bent over rows, deadlifts)

Notice the similarity in the two plans? - the only variable is calories if you are going to do it in the optimal way.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you need to consider the best ways to do what you want to do. There isn't any point in going to the gym and doing light weight dumbell curls, it won't achieve any possible objective you might have (unless that objective is to lift light weight dumbells).

If I had to guess, it sounds like you want to:

1)Lose weight
2)Gain muscle

Since you mention you are binge eating, I think your main objective is to get that under control (former binge eater here btw) first. For losing weight forget exercise until you have your diet under control - with the exception of -

Lift heavy weights, compound movements if you are up for it. Forget any kind of curl or isolating movement, its just a waste of time.

Here is the basics for what you do to lose weight:

1)Eat a calorific deficit 500-1000 kcals per day. (1-2lb loss per week)

If you don't want to do the weights, dont, its not the end of the world. But you WILL benefit from as little as 10 heavy sets total twice a week, as your body will hold onto more muscle mass as you cut.

Here is the basics for what you do to gain muscle:

1)Eat a calorific surplus 200-500 kcals per day (keep it lower to stay leaner).

Notice the similarity in the two plans? - the only variable is calories if you are going to do it in the optimal way.
the point is to lift light, it's either light or nothing, I hate pushups, I hate even 5lbs weights, I hate looking muscular, I rather look lean than beefy

·
suh dude
1,466 Posts
So what goals are you trying to accomplish by working out?

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what goals are you trying to accomplish by working out?
cardio, lean, flat stomach, my goal is the same as before, weight 120lbs. I've done it before, many times. then I go up in weight because of binge eating. 145lbs then I go down, doing 10 pushups is nothing, the 10lbs is nothing, I'm only doing it to give shape to my muscles, that's it. I hate doing it.

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
No matter your physique there will always be someone staring at you.

Started at 58kg and borderline anorexic, frequently cried in my car after walking out of the gym

Years later, with my forearm veins all forced up against my skin, with a six pack and deadlifting 150kg and passing all my blood tests tonprove I'm natural, sure enough there's still the guys on the juice laughing at the skinny fitness model who can only deadlift 150 :/

I can't give you any advice on these forums because I'd just be undermined, even though my diet and training proves credible.... But my only other advice is to start comparing yourself to who you were yesterday, instead of the people around you. Their problems are not yours.

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
^Exactly. I know it's easier said than done, but the problem here is comparing yourself to other people. There will always be someone smarter, better looking, and stronger. Comparing ourselves to others just kills our morale.

As for the dumbbells, you really should consider the fact that your elbow can only bend so many times in your life time without pain. You may as well load a respectable amount of weight there, because low weight/high reps just isn't good on the joint mileage. Plus the extra weight is needed, to help strengthen the muscles that take some of the load from your joints. This is why, if you do your squats correctly it should support your knees longevity instead of hindering them.

I don't mean any disrespect, but to me only going in the gym to achieve this awesome body is somewhat fake. These people may work hard, but it's unnatural and forced effort. To me, it doesn't truthfully represent who they are, especially cheating with steroids. I respect dudes that are huge, due to their line of work. I've also felt and seen better results working outdoors for myself. When I fell trees and clean up the brush around the area, my arms get big faster than any weight training. I naturally get more energy, instead of puttering out after X amount of reps which is probably psychological. Your body catches on to these repetitive, robotic movements eventually, and eventually they can become less effective. Tossing a log over your head, or climbing up a tree a bit to trim some branches works completely different muscles in a more challenging way. One summer, I spent months taking apart old junk cars. Some bolts were stuck to where I had to use this massive breaker bar that was 5 ft long, and I was still using all of my strength/body weight to crack them loose. That's the most I've sweated and worked in all of my life! Maybe the thing to do here, is to work smarter instead of "harder". I hope you can find some sort of alternative to doing reps in a gym. Rowing fast in a canoe or a kayak would be great and fairly simple if you have access to something like that. I guess you can't expect to become a full time lumberjack or whatever, but something more natural might be able to get you started. It also helps with morale, because after doing weeks of yard work I was thirsty for doing some lifting. It felt much easier and I felt that I had more control with the lifts. I think normal lifting neglects a lot of muscles, compared to unique physical motions say on a job site.

Also if you treat your body right, your appetite should follow through. I naturally craved healthy stuff, and even if greasy pizza was convenient it felt as though that would do nothing for my body which was desperate for energy/nutrients. Certain foods didn't sound good to me, because I knew they were inefficient and a waste of my time. I was naturally rejecting junk food, not craving it, because my body craved the real deal. Your body knows what it wants and needs. If I sit around and do nothing for months, sure junk food will sound and feel alright to me. It's almost impossible for me to even consider junk food, once I've worked my *** off. When I only lifted weights, I just wasn't feeling strong. It took all of my willpower, and even then I was cheating on my diet. Something just isn't right, regarding only forced training methods.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Lifting light also burns calories. It also prevents soreness!
I am not sure why there is so much arguing going on.

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
Larger your muscle mass is, the higher your resting metabolic rate is. I'm currently having to consume 6000 calories a day to put on any size

·
Live.Love.Fly
1,076 Posts
Starting strength. Google it. If you want to stop being weak just do it.
What he said ^

Don't let that stuff get to your head. Everyone started small. I can barely do 30 pushups right now as I have not been able to workout for long while and now finally getting back to the gym! Focus on your improvement and look forward to being BETTER than them!

Most importantly, learn to smile back, cause with girls that goes a longggggg way ;) Smiling is confidence. You will be the one smiling back at all of them when you progress in a little bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts