Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, firstly I might as well describe my living situation so you may get a glimpse of my life before I delve into my problem: I stay with my grandparents who live in my hometown, as my father works and lives away and is unable to care for me due to his work schedule. My mother, meanwhile, lives about ten minutes away but does not really bother with me for undisclosed reasons, though she has abused me in the past and seems fine now, just somewhat... neglectful when I try to re-enter her life.

Anyway, my problem is that my grandmother is... well, I do not wish to say anything bad about her because she has been kind enough to take me into their home, but I must describe ther to alleviate my annoyances:

Firstly, I have the most interaction with my grandmother because my father also works away. She is a hyper-conservative, Christian woman with a tendency to be argumentative and twist my words in said arguments so that I look like the villain. It doesn't help that I am an Atheist and have more liberal-ish viewpoints than she does, resulting in more conflict. She's also known to go back on things she's said, a trait that frustrates me to no end. Here's an example:

When my father was home last I was made to get my hair cut as apparently it was "too long" for her tastes. In order to make her keep her mouth shut I complied and got a light trim so that she would be off my back and I could have it roughly as long as I wanted it in a short period of time. A few days later, I received a gift from my mother: a blazer made of a Union Jack/English flag, and when I wore it home from school (she delivered it to the school) I was told I "Should have kept my long hair" by her after she made me get it cut. Firstly, I'm nearly 16 years of age and think it's idiotic to not have control over when to cut my hair or how short to cut it. Next, this contradiction enrages me because I prefer my hair long...

Another?

I had begun therapy with my mother in order to resolve our relationship problems, only to have her cease going due to basically everything else in her life being more important than me. My grandmother encouraged me to go, but once things fell apart it was "I KNEW IT HA-HA DON'T DO IT AGAIN." In fact, her "I told you so" is an overplayed routine by this point.

She uses my history with my mother as a weapon, and is known to send messages on Facebook when I do something she deems "disrespectful", generally large scale arguments that she describes (lies about) to my father. An example of this and how nonsensical it is:

She works 10 hours, and due to being almost 60 she feels she has to complain about it when she works at a call centre, which could be far worse. She returned home one evening and let out dogs out, asking me to put them in as always. I complied and asked if we should leave the larger of them out (she always leaves the large dog out, as she's afraid someone will break in.) She proceeded to scream about literally nothing, telling me to shut up when I tried to explain I wanted what she was going to ask me to do in five minutes time anyway, only to be told to shut up again, forced into my room, and I had a guitar amplifier thrown at me and broken (she's cheap, and I do not intend to tell her for fear of sparking her again.)

I felt I wasn't being treated like a person and called my father, who in turn called her only to receive a story that "I ran my mouth and screamed at her" (I did, but only after she began to scream at me), and so on. The next day was the same thing until I arrived at school, though this time I was the angry one because she had formulated a story wherein I started a fight over nothing because I "sighed deeply and 'hummed and ah'ed over nothing." She also told me I was the reason my mother mistreated me, only to immediately revoke that she had ever said this moments later instead of apologizing. I had to apologize to her later because she forced me to, though I felt I shouldn't have had to and instead should have been apologized to due to the situation SHE HAD CAUSED.

She lets me stay in her home yet she's always saying how "If I hadn't basically stayed since I was born" (she babysat for my parents) then I "wouldn't be there, BUT IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU." As though it's a burden to care for me when I care for myself.

Even when she's civil it's difficult to deal with her, she claims or local coffee shops don't put sugar in her morning coffee and is even so ignorant as to tell the workers to ensure it's there only to ask for packets of it anyway.

Next she's always going on about my parents and how horrible they are, my mother was described above but apparently my father is also vulgar, a cheapskate, and so on and so forth despite him being her only son.

Lastly, she babies me immensely or restricts me in development. I'm not allowed to cook even the simplest things when she is not in the house, despite having done so numerous times when she is. I have asked her to show me how to do basic things (cook, clean, do laundry) that my mother never would and she never does, instead doing it for me before she can show me. I have a very mild visual impairment so that may be why... but I don't think it should be a reason to do so.

I love my grandmother but I can't deal with her sometimes, and it's hard to voice concerns to her because they devolve into arguments about how she is the parent, I am the child, and basically it means she has authority and I have no say, a clear misuse of the title of parent. I have more but I'd rather not make any more negative statements about her than I have because when she's civil she's actually kind, caring, intelligent, and supportive. I can't go to therapy because she refuses, I can't move out because my father cannot properly look after me, and sometimes I find it hard to deal.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Sounds like a screwed up situation. Something that's true but probably won't help...she'll never change, she's set in her ways. Keep your head down for the next couple years and get out when you can. Rely on yourself for the things you're not being provided with. Apologize even when you didn't do anything, even when you're not sorry. It's a sad case of an adult being a child, and you have to treat them as such. Be gentle. Ignore her jabs and insults, don't bring up politics or religion, etc., etc... it's waaay easier said than done, but it's true.

I have so much experience with these types of people, including grandparents just like that. I also live with my grandparents, and I know the generational gap makes it just that much harder to deal with each other.

·
ಠ_ಠ
658 Posts
At least you won't have to put up with her for that much longer.
Once you can move out, it's bye bye forever.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They don't want you there.

Move out ASAP. And if they try to control you, well, don't let them? Don't comply.

I hate how you say "I complied". You treat them like police because you're scared ****less of them.

If you can't rely on your parents, and can't rely on your grandparents, then rely on yourself.

**** them and everyone associated with them.

Move out asap.

Easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts