Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Easter family gathering Sunday, and I want to try to be a little social. Problem is with my SA most talking I've done in years is just answering questions about myself, and not getting to know anyone, so everything I want to know will sound awkward. Like asking a cousin What kind of job they have now? I don't know what/or how to ask things without it being strange..Any ideas? Also, I get anxiety at grocery store with cashier. Do you make conversation with them and do you look at them the whole time, or look somewhere else? If so what do you talk about?

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I'll bet the questions you have in mind really aren't strange tbh. Like asking your cousin what he's doing now, esp after you've been asked, is just fine. I usually ask how my relatives kids are doing if they have them...that's a great conversation starter. People love, I mean love talking about their kids, I should know, I'm a dad lol. I stay away from politics and religion, but almost anything else is fair game. I'm wondering if you're hesitant to ask because you fear your questions might sound awkward, and if so, that's just the SA talking. I find that I can't really script it beforehand, you know, conversations just have a life of their own. You'll do fine :) . And wtg for going to the family gathering. My family has a pretty big one planned and I opted out, my anxiety has just been too high lately.

When I'm at the grocery store I just let the cashiers lead. I give one-word answers and say thanks. If they start a conversation I go with it, but they usually don't. I usually avoid eye contact. (something I really need to work on).

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Ask them if they know how a rabbit can lay cream eggs? I asked that as a kid, and everyone went quiet. Obviously I had them thinking, so there was no need for idle chit chat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts