Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know on your first day of school/work/whatever? Did the group leader ever make everyone introduce themselves and tell something "special" about yourself? I never know what to say at these things and i usually end up mumbling or having my voice sound all weird and quivery so that everyone know im scared out of my mind. I never know what to say about myself, i can never think of something "special" about myself so i always either mention my ethiopian heritage or that i "like soccer" which i do and have played in hs but it just sounds lame when everyone says the same thing or they are saying something more interesting. Any one else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah you know an extrovert started that stupid tradition. Luckily where I work when there's a new person they just take him/her to each area and introduce them and we really don't have to say much. But..... recently our boss decided to do something new because there were quite a few new people and a lot of negative things going on and he wanted to clear the air. Well his great idea was to order pizza for the whole office and we had to go around the room and talk about ourself. Well you can tell how well that one went over with me. :mum Urgh!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My go to interesting thing is I like to play Frisbee Golf.

·
sp chick
222 Posts
its easier if you are the first one to go!! . . .but i'm pretty sure people are really worried if what they say is interesting to everyone else rather than what you are saying... this goes for me when I have to introduce my self the first day of classes. . .i'm so caught up in what I am going to say that I do not even care or listen to anyone else's intros.. .it goes in one ear and out the other..

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
Usually each person says something around the circle, and I'm the last to go, so I'm sitting there trying to figure something out and not paying any attention to what anyone else is saying.

I don't really have anything interesting to say, either.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hate telling them ANYTHING about myself, because I feel that anything "interesting" or not so interesting about myself is still personal. I just don't WANT to tell them about myself! In high school I used to literally say "and I don't have anything to say about myself," which is obviously more awkward.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
What people should do is think of something that is interesting about themselves starting now. That way you'll have plenty of time to think about it just in case it's brought up in the future.

·
Registered
761 Posts
What people should do is think of something that is interesting about themselves starting now. That way you'll have plenty of time to think about it just in case it's brought up in the future.
I can't think of anything that I'd like to share.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I had this 'having to go around the table and introduce yourself thing' when I went to my job searching training course thingy's. I'm never the first one to go so I can't get it outta the way. And I am constantly running over in my head what to say and how to say it and taking in how the other people are saying it so i can sorta copy but then when it's my turn, it sometimes comes out wrong lol

At my first day on high school, I remember we had to do the introduction thing and then had to pair up with someone in our new tutorial group and to talk about yourself, It was really hard because the girl I was with had this attitude like she wanted to be somewhere else or with the girls she had made friends with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts