Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
insert witty comment here
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I haven't been around for a while...

Does anyone know something about an organization called ICANN?

I moved a few months ago and have recently received emails re various domains I own. This organization called ICANN wants me update my contact details with whois.com. Apparently, if I do not comply my domain name registrations could be cancelled.

Who are those people? I feel like Big Brother is watching me! :um

I actually dismissed the first few emails that arrived because it was so weird and they always start with this bizarre, I think laughable, sentence: ICANN, the organization responsible for the stability of the Internet,
requires that each domain name registrant be given the opportunity to
correct any inaccurate contact data (WHOIS data) associated with a domain
name registration...

The organization responsible for the stability of the internet??? Says who? Have I missed something? WTF?

Anyone know anything about this?

·
(.*?)
6,617 Posts
There's an email reminder they send once a year to each domain contact email no matter what -- it just says to update if the info is incorrect, it doesn't say they've actually found it to be incorrect. I don't know if you're talking about that or about some sort of more severe follow-up email. When you bought your domains, though, you did agree to terms saying that you were going to provide valid contact info. If you break those terms, they can cancel at will.

Of course, their preference is to not cancel your domains. If someone were to lodge a complaint with ICANN saying that they attempted to contact you and couldn't, however, and ICANN couldn't contact you either, then they might not have a choice. Not that people would normally make a complaint, unless you've made enemies somewhere.

·
insert witty comment here
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The thing is that those emails came from ICANN directly and not from the company I bought the domains from or my host. The emails also started arriving before I contacted my host to let them know that I had moved. That's what made me feel a little freaked out by it.

·
Banned
642 Posts
What company do you register your domains from?

In short ICANN does require you keep your Whois info updated. They do manage all top level domains such as .Com .Net. .Org etc....

Personally I never keep my whois updated....whats there is there......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts