Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else feel that way?

I've seen a psychologist on and off for 2 years now. I've been to the psychiatrist monthly for the last year and a half trying different meds and such. I got a second psychiatrist evaluation a few weeks ago hoping for something different.

In the mean time, the hole that I am in feels SO much deeper. Things I used to be able to enjoy are no longer enjoyable. I don't know if that's due to the fact that I talked about these things with someone, or if it is just getting progressively worse with time. Well, I can't do them without taking pills. I'm practically addicted to xanax. I still have no friends. I haven't returned back to school (was my goal before starting). Pulled back even further from my family and buried myself deeper in my basement.

Not to mention how much this all cost. My insurance probably shelled out about 15,000 for all of it including medication and office visits.

I was extremely hesitant to start this path, though my family wanted to me give it a try. Perhaps it would work, perhaps it wouldn't. You never know. But still, what the hell did I get myself in to and when do you call it quits?

·
insert witty comment here
6,221 Posts
Therapy tends to make things worse. It is no surprise if you think about the fact that you spend much time talking about stuff you'd probably rather forget. It's how it works though. You have to work through your issues before you can let go. It always gets worse before it gets better.

Have you spoken to your therapist about this? I think you should. Ask what they think about your progress.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This is why I recently quit therapy and decided to continue going out on my own and improving things. Talking about sad things can make you feel worse especially when solutions aren't offered. Plus, my therapist was annoying because he would act nervous around me. Besides benzos (because they sedate you but are highly addictive, so most doctors are hesitant to prescribe them), the meds don't work. Taking meds tend to create more problems. During times of crisis therapy may be okay, but I wouldn't recommend it indefinitely.

Try to find out what's really bothering you/what you think you're missing in life and work on goals to make things better. This is the issue I have with most traditional therapists. They just want to talk about your problems over and over again without offering solutions. Don't even get me started on the pill pushers. Instead of helping you improve things in your life they'd rather shove pills down your throat so that you become apathetic and not care as much. This fixes nothing but simply places a bandaide on an open wound.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I'm hesitating to go back into therapy myself (after several years without it) for some of the reasons you give. I've discussed this at length with my father and my brother and they think it can help me. My step-mother has been really wanting me to go too(which was initially rubbing me the wrong way). Since I didn't see a therapist for so long, going back feels like I'm not doing as well as I thought (even though I am).

My biggest reasoning for the past few years was, "do I really want to pay $100 a week, just to hear an opinion or techniques that I may or may not agree with?" It just wan't feasible for me.

Also, it's possible that the meds are what's making you worse. I don't know whether you considered that or not. Anytime I was given meds, they just made me sleepier than I already was, which is saying a lot. When you pass out in the shower multiple times, you know something's not right.

I think a change needs to be made, velocicaur. In one way or another.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anyone tried group therapy? It seems like it might be more helpful but I am not sure. I am considering it because during the past year my SA may have gotten worse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts