Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the new Harry Potter movie yesterday, and I went alone. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got a whole bucket of popcorn to myself, and a large drink too. Nobody noticed that I was alone, either.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
thats cool, was the move any good? im to scared of going to the movies, never been there in my life. i just download the movies i want to watch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good for you for going alone!

The most important thing I learned from my 2nd and 3rd marriages is the ADVANTAGE OF TRAVELING ALONE. It took me many years to get over the loneliness and awkwardness of doing things alone, but now I do almost everything by myself, and actually prefer it (most of the time). Here's how it works:

When you're with one or more other people, especially ones you don't know intimately, there's often that awkwardness of "You want to do this?" "Yeah, that's fine." "Are you sure? We can do something else." "No, it's fine" etc. Even when the conversation isn't actually there, deep inside you wonder if the others are really happy or are just enduring. Maybe they're ready to go and you're not, but you have to follow anyway. Then there's the often uncomfortable pressure to talk and engage. If you're on a date with someone you want to impress, it can be difficult.

But, alone! You can go exactly where you want to (or not), go when you want to, stay as long as you want to, sit and do nothing if you want to, get up and move around if you want to, be silent if you want to, leave when you want to -- it's liberating! If you need to break away from the crowds and be isolated, you can do that too. All of the distraction is gone and you can really concentrate on what you're there to see.

True, it is nice to be able sometimes to talk about and share what you're doing, but when you can't, it can still be fun! It sure beats missing out entirely. And it gets easier the more you do it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Good for you and well done :)

This is something that I've been thinking of doing myself. I think I'd probably find it much easier than doing something like eating in a restaurant on my own - though at the same time I'm sure I'd experience a certain amout of anxiety still. I'll bet that took courage!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What I learned about eating in a restaurant alone: people will usually assume you're traveling. It's very common for people on business to eat alone. Bring along a book or magazine if a prop will help. Otherwise, enjoy the food and the lack of a need for conversation!

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Well done!!

I've been meaning to try and do that for awhile now, but I always manage to talk myself out of it at the last minute.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What I learned about eating in a restaurant alone: people will usually assume you're traveling. It's very common for people on business to eat alone. Bring along a book or magazine if a prop will help. Otherwise, enjoy the food and the lack of a need for conversation!
I'll bear that in mind. Many thanks for the tips! :)

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I went to the movies alone once. I was supposed to work but there was no work. It was a rainy day and the oscars were coming up soon. I saw two oscar nominations in one afternoon. So I decided instead of going home to a dreary house with nothing to do I'd treat myself. It was nice because I could totally concentrate on the movie. When I go with someone else I feel responsible for them liking the movie, so I get anxious and watch their reaction instead of being in my own world totally consumed by the movie.

Plus it's cheaper alone..

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
When I go with someone else I feel responsible for them liking the movie, so I get anxious and watch their reaction instead of being in my own world totally consumed by the movie.
I hate choosing movies for this very reason. On the rare occasion that I actually watch a movie with someone I almost never pick. So all the movies I really want to see I end up watching alone.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I saw the new Harry Potter movie yesterday, and I went alone. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got a whole bucket of popcorn to myself, and a large drink too. Nobody noticed that I was alone, either.
Way to go, man.:) I remember the first time I went to the movies alone, it was to see Spiderman 2. I was shaking like a leaf when walking up to get a ticket lol. But after I got in my seat and lights turned down, pretty much all my anxiety faded and I was able to enjoy the movie in peace. Going alone doesn't really bother me much anymore. Walking up to the ushers at the entrance can be a little nerve-racking at times, but other than that it's an enjoyable experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts