Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of weeks ago I went to a Goldie concert around Chinatown. Music is one of the only things that keeps me going and Goldie is someone I listen to a lot. I figured hey I love his music he's probably not going to play a lot of it but I get to watch him DJ and part of me used it as an experiment to see how much social interaction I could take before I can't stand it, this might work out great.

At this concert I learned something very important about myself. No matter how much I love any type of music, it's simply not enough to overcome the barrier of social anxiety and just hating social situations. I had random conversations with a few people but the whole situation just made me feel like I didn't belong here so I just left at 130AM. Even though the thing lasted until 4.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Whoa, didn't realize Goldie was still around. I'm envious. I've had these experiences before and I always convince myself that the music will keep me occupied and distracted, but ultimately its still a social event and you are bound to be put in a situation where you will have to respond to someone's comments and or even have to carry a conversation you were hoping you could avoid. Honestly, I'm at the point where I wouldn't even have bothered to attend the concert, so I commend you on at least showing up. Getting that far is very difficult for a lot of people suffering from social anxiety and avoidance is just something that comes with the territory. So I would look at this as a win despite feeling awkward in a few conversations. Baby steps....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at least you have the courage to test your limits. I would never even dare to go to a concert.
I used to say the same thing. But I gave it a shot only because I really like the music. One of the only conversations I ever started with a girl on the train was because I recognized the song and found it very esoteric that she would listen to that. Alas I was too afraid to ask for her number of anything.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, didn't realize Goldie was still around. I'm envious. I've had these experiences before and I always convince myself that the music will keep me occupied and distracted, but ultimately its still a social event and you are bound to be put in a situation where you will have to respond to someone's comments and or even have to carry a conversation you were hoping you could avoid. Honestly, I'm at the point where I wouldn't even have bothered to attend the concert, so I commend you on at least showing up. Getting that far is very difficult for a lot of people suffering from social anxiety and avoidance is just something that comes with the territory. So I would look at this as a win despite feeling awkward in a few conversations. Baby steps....
See the problem with that is it's not baby steps for me. What I mean by that is that experience essentially convinced me that I am not meant for that kind of environment. If something I truly love isn't enough to get me to be social then quite honestly nothing will. But for the time I was there I was glad I got to see Goldie. I wish I got to shake his hand or something but honestly I was too hesistant to bother.

·
Banned
5,592 Posts
Last week I went to my first live show in almost ten years. I actually went to two live shows, in the same day. I won tickets to see this band in an intimate, studio performance in the morning and then again in a club later on that night. I understand how you feel. I had a lot of anxiety, especially during the morning show. I got through it, and I was actually just fine once the show started. I was also with my son, though and I'm sure that helped me a whole lot. I was totally OK during the show later on that night at the club.

I want to see if I could go to a show by myself, but I've never done that in my entire life. There were a couple of people at the club there by themselves, so I know it shouldn't be a big deal to me I guess? But it is obviously because of the anxiety. I don't know if I could even try that. Way to go, for going and for even trying. I think pushing yourself and getting a little out of your comfort zone can really help. I've found in the past that if I lock myself up in my apartment for days at a time, I'm far, far more uncomfortable in social situations afterward.

·
Permanently Panned
7,901 Posts
I love going to concerts...usually, i don't even talk to ppl nor do i HAVE TO at the show, though it wud be good for me to try and meet some ppl into the same music as me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last week I went to my first live show in almost ten years. I actually went to two live shows, in the same day. I won tickets to see this band in an intimate, studio performance in the morning and then again in a club later on that night. I understand how you feel. I had a lot of anxiety, especially during the morning show. I got through it, and I was actually just fine once the show started. I was also with my son, though and I'm sure that helped me a whole lot. I was totally OK during the show later on that night at the club.

I want to see if I could go to a show by myself, but I've never done that in my entire life. There were a couple of people at the club there by themselves, so I know it shouldn't be a big deal to me I guess? But it is obviously because of the anxiety. I don't know if I could even try that. Way to go, for going and for even trying. I think pushing yourself and getting a little out of your comfort zone can really help. I've found in the past that if I lock myself up in my apartment for days at a time, I'm far, far more uncomfortable in social situations afterward.
Yeah if I had a friend there it probably would be better, but what normally happens is that I end up only talking to that person. For example when I went to comic con that happened, and I STILL felt like I didn't belong.

The most awkward thing that comes up if I try to force myself in a social environment is bars. I have never drank before so asking "what kind of drinks are there?" seems very weird. I have no knowledge of cocktails or any of the sort. Which creates a cycle of just not wanting to go.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah if I had a friend there it probably would be better, but what normally happens is that I end up only talking to that person. For example when I went to comic con that happened, and I STILL felt like I didn't belong.

The most awkward thing that comes up if I try to force myself in a social environment is bars. I have never drank before so asking "what kind of drinks are there?" seems very weird. I have no knowledge of cocktails or any of the sort. Which creates a cycle of just not wanting to go.
Ouch. The feeling of I don't belong here so you leave.:crying:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch. The feeling of I don't belong here so you leave.:crying:
Yep. The only place I can say I ever felt like I somewhat belonged was a video game community that died out because they game got old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts