Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a small thing. I was anxious on the car ride over to the apartment that my friend wanted to look at. She brought me along in case she needed someone to translate English into German/ German into English. I did have to translate a little bit and I was able to keep eye contact with the realtor and actually hear what she had to say.
I think I did alright. I had a little bit of a problem with speaking a little low, but I decided not to freak out when the realtor didn't greet us with a smile. I have had to get used to this country where people rarely seem to smile. But I have also come to realize that smiling people aren't always good people and people who are serious are not always bad.
Of course I smoked like a chimeny until I felt queasy. Also, my friend decided not to go with this apartment and she asked me to accompany her to numerous other appointments she'll schedule.
I can't say no to a friend who's been there for me no matter how afraid or anxious I am of an unpleasant situation. If there was anything that my mother taught me is that a finding a true friend is like finding treasure. I have to remind myself to thank my friend for asking me to come along and my mom for having taught me at least that one positive thing.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats pretty badass knowing English and German. So you are in Germany now? What brings you there?
I was a military brat so I've been in Germany pretty much all of my life. My German isn't really as good as it should be although I can understand it fairly well. I get anxious when I have to speak it because I'm afraid I'm going to make a mistake and look stupid. Of course making mistakes is just part of learning another language but I take failure to heart and avoid speaking German.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
You did great! Good luck with the future apartment scouts!

If there was anything that my mother taught me is that a finding a true friend is like finding treasure. I have to remind myself to thank my friend for asking me to come along and my mom for having taught me at least that one positive thing.
Your mother gave you some great advice! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts