Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Looking for an argument
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It was a couple of years ago, an atheist group created a few of these billboards and ads on the side of buses. I think its great that we've moved on from the tyranny of christianity that in this day and age we're aloud to openly question it without fear of persecution.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think its great that we've moved on from the tyranny of christianity that in this day and age we're aloud to openly question it without fear of persecution.
If only that were true everywhere. If that billboard were in my hometown it would probably be burnt to the ground. Being openly atheist here is a good way to get jumped.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If only that were true everywhere. If that billboard were in my hometown it would probably be burnt to the ground. Being openly atheist here is a good way to get jumped.
That gives a whole new meaning to the term 'bible bashers'

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Being openly atheist here is a good way to get jumped.
Along with being black, gay, different etc etc I assume...

The people you speak of can't really call themselves Christians if that's the way they behave. They are simply brainwashed beasts under a banner.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts

It was a couple of years ago, an atheist group created a few of these billboards and ads on the side of buses. I think its great that we've moved on from the tyranny of christianity that in this day and age we're aloud to openly question it without fear of persecution.
Yes they had them in the UK too. Was good to see. :)

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Damn, so lucky. Some guy here got his car keyed because of an atheist bumper sticker.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Along with being black, gay, different etc etc I assume...

The people you speak of can't really call themselves Christians if that's the way they behave. They are simply brainwashed beasts under a banner.
Of course they can.

Never expected you to pull a no true scotsman on behalf of christians.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Of course they can.

Never expected you to pull a no true scotsman on behalf of christians.
OK maybe they could still be a failed/bad Christian, but being physically violent towards others just for being different invalidates their claim to being a good Christian.

Many people say failed/bad Christians aren't really Christians though.

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
It's not something I'd personally spend money on, I don't see any need to preach or try to convert people to Atheism, but it's no big deal because no secure believer would feel threatened by that billboard.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
It's not something I'd personally spend money on, I don't see any need to preach or try to convert people to Atheism, but it's no big deal because no secure believer would feel threatened by that billboard.
I have it on good authority that may be a dodgy opinion.

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
I have it on good authority that may be a dodgy opinion.
About people being offended? I know some people would be, I just mean that they shouldn't in that they have no real basis to be offended.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
About people being offended? I know some people would be, I just mean that they shouldn't in that they have no real basis to be offended.
Yes. I respect atheism but I don't see the need for some of the antitheism.

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
Yes. I respect atheism but I don't see the need for some of the antitheism.
Yeah, I'd probably say I agree with that. I can't stand Richard Dawkins, or anyone who thinks it's oh-so-edgy (it isn't) to have a go at religion. Most of the time I'd actually say I actively approve of people being religious, it's nice when people actually believe in something and have strong values.
I think the billboard is a little silly, but nothing more than that.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably say I agree with that. I can't stand Richard Dawkins, or anyone who thinks it's oh-so-edgy (it isn't) to have a go at religion. Most of the time I'd actually say I actively approve of people being religious, it's nice when people actually believe in something and have strong values.
I think the billboard is a little silly, but nothing more than that.
No one should be offended by the billboard if they're confident in their faith & accepting of others as they ought to be.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I'd say the message is more about telling people not to worry about if there is a god or not, and to just enjoy their life, which is virtuous IMO.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It's really unnecessary...but maybe it's understandable as a response to Christian billboards and things.
I've pretty much found that people who don't accept evolution or the age of the universe, and thus don't understand why people have a problem with the Bible, are kind of too stupid to understand things like evolution and radiometric dating. Sorry if it sounds arrogant...but it seems to be true. To them it's all just fancy scientific jargon.
So I've learned that it's kind of pointless to debate people.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts