Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like I want to achieve something, I feel like I can run a Marathon and could win it. I live in India but I'm shy to run here (I feel more awkward among Indians).

I want to know some Marathon events outside India with bigger cash money as winnings. Money is not so important to me but it may be useful since I can leave my home and live in another country if I want to.

I want to do it because I won't feel like my life is a waste. Also, I can tell myself as an athlete if they ask me what is your job, instead of saying I just sit in my home.

Sometimes I feel I have to use the restroom when I'm nervous or away from my home, but I can manage it with tablets, I guess.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
  1. Boston pays $150,000 to winners > closed for new participants for the year 2021, I guess.
  2. New York $130,000 > closed for new participants for the year 2021, I guess.
  3. Chicago $100,000 > closed for new participants for the year 2021, I guess.
  4. London $55,000 > not sure about the status for 2021.
  5. what are the other events? Can anyone reply?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Well, I don't know of any other Marathon events too well, but I did participate in Marathon in high school. (Well, it was mandatory).

But. I loved the marathon race, it fit right into my SA, because
1) its an individual sport, so there's no forced teamwork
2) the whole school must participate, so everybody is too busy running to really watch you.
3) its VERY challenging, but its low contact, so its kinda exhilerating.

I never won, but I used to at least come out in the top 50. Once I made it to the top 20.

So go for it man. Only thing I would suggest is make sure you do plenty of leg strength exercises when you train, make sure to stetch your legs well and warm up those joints. Don't be afraid to spend money on comfortable running shoes ...preventing injury to your legs and feet is more important than saving on a few bucks.

Good luck !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I don't know of any other Marathon events too well, but I did participate in Marathon in high school. (Well, it was mandatory).

But. I loved the marathon race, it fit right into my SA, because
1) its an individual sport, so there's no forced teamwork
2) the whole school must participate, so everybody is too busy running to really watch you.
3) its VERY challenging, but its low contact, so its kinda exhilerating.

I never won, but I used to at least come out in the top 50. Once I made it to the top 20.

So go for it man. Only thing I would suggest is make sure you do plenty of leg strength exercises when you train, make sure to stetch your legs well and warm up those joints. Don't be afraid to spend money on comfortable running shoes ...preventing injury to your legs and feet is more important than saving on a few bucks.

Good luck !
I live in a small town in India. Nobody runs here. Everyone would be staring at me if I try to run here. I usually feel more awkward among Indians. What I'm dreaming of is like winning the world-famous marathon event with (or without) prize money. And holding an Indian flag like the one on the below picture.

But I'm not sure if I can do it or am I just foolish.

Then I would feel like I have achieved something in my life. And if the news channels flash the news on TV then there might be even a prettier woman willing to marry me even if I have social anxiety.
-----------------------------------
Right now, I feel like "I don't even smile or talk and behave like a robot. Will the girl whom I marry would even like me? Am I going to spoil her expectations? Nah, be happy being single"

The other part of me is like "you are aging and you need someone to hug, need kids"...

Sometimes the above thought makes me feel suicidal.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,579 Posts
I've never boxed before, or even watched boxing, and I'd be embarrassed to practice locally so I won't practice, and I'm 150 lbs. I think I'll go ahead and jump on a plane and go win the world heavyweight title, because that prize money would be nice.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Sounds like a great goal. How old are you by the way? To win a marathon like New York or Boston you have to be a world class athlete. Like being in the olympics so its very very tough to do. Is that your goal? If so then you are going to have to train like an elite athelete.

If your goal is to run in and finish a marathon that is something I think most people could reasonably do if they put in the training and effort. That is very doable that is realistic.

You could be a short distance runner as well. Like a sprinter. Does that interest you?

So what do you want?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've never boxed before, or even watched boxing, and I'd be embarrassed to practice locally so I won't practice, and I'm 150 lbs. I think I'll go ahead and jump on a plane and go win the world heavyweight title, because that prize money would be nice.
I take your message as a sarcastic reply.

Boxing requires skills and technique but anyone can run a marathon. But running a marathon would require a lot of hard work, which I feel like I can do.

In boxing, someone can knockout us. In a marathon, a person can only be knockout when his willpower goes out. I feel like I can run like this is my life and my life would end if I can't do it. But I don't know what will happen.

because that prize money would be nice.
I also thought about donating some of it to homeless people, if I win. I also felt like I can keep some of it since if I want to move to another country, I need it.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,579 Posts
Anyone can box without any skills or technique, they just can't box professionally without skills, technique and genetic luck. Anyone can run marathons, but you can't run marathons professionally without skills and technique and genetic luck and a whole lot of practice. Nobody can run marathons without being willing to run in their neighborhood first.

My dad ran a couple dozen marathons. It requires a huge time commitment. You have to be running 40+ miles per week routinely. And that's to run them in 4 hours. You cannot will yourself to keep running 26.2 miles without putting the work in, let alone to do it in 2 hours, any more than you can will yourself to punch out Mike Tyson (or whoever the top boxer is these days).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like a great goal. How old are you by the way? To win a marathon like New York or Boston you have to be a world class athlete. Like being in the olympics so its very very tough to do. Is that your goal? If so then you are going to have to train like an elite athelete.

If your goal is to run in and finish a marathon that is something I think most people could reasonably do if they put in the training and effort. That is very doable that is realistic.

You could be a short distance runner as well. Like a sprinter. Does that interest you?

So what do you want?
I'm 27. Winning a world-class recognizable marathon would be like a reason I'm born in this world and I will be proud to tell anyone for the rest of my life. It would be a milestone and change my life.

I guess I can complete a marathon but it would be a challenge to finish it at the top. But I can give my full effort.

I feel the short distance runner/sprinter would be hard for me. I feel like if the distance is higher, the better it is.

When I was 17 years old,

I wanted an internet modem to connect the internet to my laptop. My classmate had it.

I need to travel 62 KM to meet him. I could have taken a bus, instead, I took my bicycle. Since I thought it would be an adventure.

I started traveling in the morning (9 AM or 10 AM, not sure) and reached him like at 2 PM or 3 PM in the afternoon. I was very tired.

He gave me the modem. Then he drives me back 14 KM towards my hometown. Then he asked me to go home.

I had money to travel by bus back to my home town but I can't leave my bicycle. So, I just continued to travel by my bicycle.

I drink some free water from the local shops but I will get thirsty within 5 minutes. I felt like I made the wrong decision and I'm in trouble.

I traveled another 10 KMs and found a railway station. The sky is getting dark and it was like around 6 PM. My parents don't know anything about this.

I haven't traveled by train much before and never on my own before.

I asked the ticket giver whether I can travel on the train with my bicycle. The train arrived and the ticker giver talked with the person in charge of the train.

The ticket giver said I have to buy 1 ticket for myself and additional 2 or 3 tickets for my bicycle. The train tickets are cheaper here, I didn't mind. Then I happily get on the train with my bicycle.

The train reached the destination near my hometown. When the train stopped at the station, I tried to get down. But the people who want to get on the train blocked the way. With a lot of difficulties, I got myself and my bicycle on the platform.

Now here the real trouble starts...

The person in charge of the railway station approached me and said it is not allowed to take a bicycle on the train.

I showed them the additional tickets, he said it is not allowed. And asked me to come with him.

Some passengers at the station asked him what is the problem, he replied "without". Without is a short word refers to the people who travel on the train without buying tickets.

I told that the ticket giver at the starting station said to me that I'm allowed to if I buy additional tickets. He said "that person earns extra money for every ticket he sells but its not allowed for me to bring the bicycle on the train. The railway station is not like a bus stop". Here we can bring vehicles inside a bus station.

He asked me to give 100 or 1000 rupees as a fine but I showed him some coins from my pocket, all the money I had. The other personal nearby said I'm making fun of them.

They asked me what am I studying, I said diploma in ECE. They said you are studying diploma but don't know that you are not allowed to bring a bicycle on the train and inside the railway station? But they didn't teach this anywhere in my studies nor I have seen it on TV as a warning.

Then they let me go...

I slowly started driving my bicycle to the exit of the station. I heard them started calling me back...

I returned to them wondering why.

The person said you shouldn't drive your bicycle inside the station and the other guy said that I'm is making fun of then. And they have to teach me the station rules.

They tried to lock my bicycle but my bicycle didn't have a lock. And said I have to deal with it on the court.

I begged them on their feet, I felt like an insect and I'm so embarrassed.

They went into the office room, I was standing there for some more minutes. Some guys standing at the railway station told me to run.

Then I started riding my bicycle shouting "sorry" and left the station. I thought they might chase me but they didn't.

I have to travel another 10 KMs on my bicycle to reach my home.

I reached my home at 7:30 PM or 8 PM and my family told me to reach home at 5 PM or 6 PM if I go out to play....

In the end, that internet modem didn't work on my laptop and I can't connect to the internet. I gave the modem back to my classmate at the college after the semester holidays.

Nobody can run marathons without being willing to run in their neighborhood first.
So, I have traveled around 82 Kms in a single day on my bicycle at the age of 17. Is this experience enough for me to run a marathon? or am I overconfident?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Dude, run your marathon. But train first. You may win, you may not...but it will be an experience.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dude, run your marathon. But train first. You may win, you may not...but it will be an experience.
Is there any event outside India where I can participate (I heard that the participates may train together before the race)? Are the flights flying now? I'm yet to apply for a passport.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,579 Posts
So, I have traveled around 82 Kms in a single day on my bicycle at the age of 17. Is this experience enough for me to run a marathon? or am I overconfident?
Yes, you are extremely overconfident. Bicycling doesn't get you in running shape at all. And bikes are specifically made to let you go much further much faster than running. 82 km in a day on a bike isn't particularly impressive for someone who owns a bike and therefore presumably uses it fairly often. The biking world's equivalent of marathon races by the way is a century, which is 100 miles / 161 km, and the race winners do those 161 km in a little over 2 hours -- not a full day.

Literally nobody in the history of the universe has run a marathon without training first. You run a mile, then 5Ks, then 10Ks, then half-marathons, then some 20 mile training jogs... then you think about coming in 9902nd place in a marathon. You can do that within a year if you commit to it. Imagining you can skip all the work and go to the finish line and be the best in the world will never get you anywhere in life, though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have you been practicing to run the marathon? the tennis issue is also important
Yes, you are extremely overconfident. Bicycling doesn't get you in running shape at all. And bikes are specifically made to let you go much further much faster than running. 82 km in a day on a bike isn't particularly impressive for someone who owns a bike and therefore presumably uses it fairly often. The biking world's equivalent of marathon races by the way is a century, which is 100 miles / 161 km, and the race winners do those 161 km in a little over 2 hours -- not a full day.

Literally nobody in the history of the universe has run a marathon without training first. You run a mile, then 5Ks, then 10Ks, then half-marathons, then some 20 mile training jogs... then you think about coming in 9902nd place in a marathon. You can do that within a year if you commit to it. Imagining you can skip all the work and go to the finish line and be the best in the world will never get you anywhere in life, though.
Hi Paul and PedroACS,

I see on Youtube that running a marathon under 2 hours (which is the current record) is an almost impossible task. The videos already took my confidence away from me. Like many people tried and failed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts