Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nervous but I was thinking to join a group therapy for social anxiety. I sent an email to the coordinator, he said I should call to make an appointment. But I even cannot make a phone call. What should I do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Email him back and see if he can make an exception and let you make an appointment through an email. Considering it's for social anxiety, he of all people should know that making phone calls can be difficult for us.

·
Scotland Yard
2,770 Posts
I was in more or less the same situation some months ago. My individual therapist suggested I'd try group therapy but I was feeling extremely nervous about it. Now I can say I'm glad I did it. It's really helping me to learn from others who have comparable problems and to have a safe haven to fall back on. As for the call, I agree with the above user, you should just send him an e-mail, I'm pretty positive that will be possible as well. Just don't let these things hold you back from trying, cause I can say once you've started it's all much easier than it may seem beforehand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
I emailed him. He said that we couldn't do the intake over the email but he could do it face-to-face. It's better than talking over the phone, but I'm nervous... But maybe I should?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think you'll be glad if you go through with it. And you should rightly be proud of yourself for taking these first steps toward group therapy. Congrats!

However- if you truly feel like you're not ready for this, don't do it. If you're not ready, then this could be too big and overwhelming for you in your social anxiety recovery process right now. You should take small steps and work yourself up towards these bigger SA goals, allowing yourself to feel the success behind each step before moving forward. You should discuss this with the coordinator to make sure you're eased in to the therapy slowly, and that you're allowed to go at your own pace.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Softy785. I made an appointment with the coordinator today. So I will try to meet him first, then decide what I should do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I met the coordinator today, and made an appointment to meet a therapist next week before I join the group. I took the first step!

I found the ad of this therapy group on my university website.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I met the coordinator today, and made an appointment to meet a therapist next week before I join the group. I took the first step!

I found the ad of this therapy group on my university website.
Thanks. I'll have to look for one near me.
That's really great though, I'm happy for you! :boogie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts