Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

I want to sell my car because it's red

4K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  442 
#1 ·
A couple years ago when my SA was on the upside I bought a bright red, and somewhat ostentatious sports car. It's the type of car that will turn heads at some corners and merit the occasional question from complete strangers. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm on stage at every stoplight and I can't stand it anymore. I purposely take longer routes to avoid busy intersections and stoplights just to stay calm.

Since it's financed, if I was to sell the car now I'm out at least 10 grand from taxes, interest and quick depreciation. I will be forced to blame my SA for losing out on a car I otherwise enjoy.

Does anybody else feel this way about their car or driving in general?

#6 ·
When I think about getting a car, I always think I want something that will make people look at me because I think if other drivers see me it'll lessen my chances of getting into a car accident and having to socialize with someone who won't be totally happy that their car is damaged....

#8 ·
When I think about getting a car, I always think I want something that will make people look at me because I think if other drivers see me it'll lessen my chances of getting into a car accident and having to socialize with someone who won't be totally happen that their car is damaged....
That's a very interesting outlook. I have never been in an accident after 9 years of driving and all my vehicles have been red. I think it's safe to say having a bright colored car isn't all bad.

#7 ·
A couple years ago when my SA was on the upside I bought a bright red, and somewhat ostentatious sports car. It's the type of car that will turn heads at every corner and merit the occasional question from complete strangers. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm on stage at every stoplight and I can't stand it anymore. I purposely take longer routes to avoid busy intersections and stoplights just to stay calm.

Since it's financed, if I was to sell the car now I'm out at least 10 grand from taxes, interest and quick depreciation. I will be forced to blame my SA for losing out on a car I otherwise enjoy.

Ferrari?

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
For sure, I don't know what I was thinking. There's 2 other colors that were offered that I'd rather have instead. Cosmic blue and black, but for some reason I wanted the red at the time of purchase. It looks good, but sticks out like a sore thumb. Random people even follow me around looking to race, I HATE it.

#16 ·
I've always thought about that. I think about the colour of my future car if I have one (I know nothing about cars, so that's about as in depth as I can think about one), and I would want something conservative and that blends in. I refuse to drive my sister's car because I feel like it's too noticeable.

#20 ·
My sports car is blue, and yes, I do get people turning heads. :).
I wouldn't worry about it. If you are just paying attention to the road, you're fine. I have been known to flash a smile, though. If you earned that car, enjoy it. :) That is what I am doing - I love my car :).

#21 ·
I understand where you're coming from with the red car situation. But picture what your car looks like to other people: It's just an attractive economy car to them, unless they know what the badge means. It's only a status symbol among the few who understand that it has 263hp. And there aren't a whole lot of us ;)

Think of it this way: By classic definition, there are no five-door, FWD sports cars. You just have a fast, capable compact.

#22 ·
I have a bright yellow kit car and wherever i go people stare and even take pictures!

In one way it's kind of like exposure therapy to me because people start talking to me when i'm filling her up with petrol, asking me about the car and stuff.

#24 ·
I think you probably feel more conspicuous than you really are... they don't look all that much different from the regular old Mazda 3 hatchbacks, the back of it probably makes it more noticeable than the fact that it's a sports version. I got a brand new 2010 Mazda 3 a couple months ago and for a long time I felt conspicuous because mine was the only one I'd ever seen on the road and some people think they're a bit funny looking, so I felt like people kept thinking, "what kind of car is that?" Made me feel more proud than nervous, though.

I might look at people's cars but I've never looked the person inside the car unless they just did something rude or dangerous and I wanted to see if they're on a cell phone or looking at me or something. I would imagine most people are the same, maybe unless they're some kind of sports car enthusiast and assume you're one too and thus feel some sort of kinship with you.

#25 ·
I like the new 2010's, they're really smiley from the front. :D

I look around while I'm at an intersection and catch glaces, then I get the feeling everyone is looking at me, judging me, like I should have a different kind of personality to be given the right to drive such a bright red car. That everyone can sense my fear, and they're laughing. Ugh.

I was proud to drive the car for some time, but recent episodes have set me so far back. Oh well, I'm glad you enjoy your new whip.

#27 ·
I do know what you mean to a certain extent. I used to have a bright red Alpha Romeo a few years back when they first came out and still quite rare and I would constantly get noticed in it. Traffic lights and juntion used to do my head in sometimes :roll. What you should remember is that most people that do look are looking at the car rather than you the driver although they may give you a cursory glance. And they are usually looking in an appreciative manner as opposed to judgeing you negatively.

I wrote it off in an accident eventually and now have an anonymous **** mobile and I really miss that car now :um. Oh the sound of that engine :yes! I feel more self-conscious driving a **** mobile than I did in the bright red Alpha.

Don't ditch it - you might end up regretting it. Try the tinted window thing or a paint job or learn to live with it rather make a huge loss and end up regretting it.

#29 ·
Keep your car, you deserve it! Besides when I notice a sleek car, I don't even look at the driver, I just look at the car.

I got my first new car this year, trading in my truck (handed down to me from husband) for a Civic. I looove it, it's dark blue. To me, it's a hot car, I love the color. It's a small car, but it's mine.

#31 ·
Keep the 3!!!! :)

I :heart Mazdas.

I used to do the whole street racing thing back when I still had friends in the scene. Since they moved away, my SA keeps me from going :(

I'm kindof the opposite. I've done alot of work to my car(a Mazda Protege) and I'm actually proud of it. The only time my SA is not too bad is when I'm driving her. I have the whole loud exhaust, really loud blow off valve. So I attract attention but it doesn't bother me.

However, right now she's laid up cuz I'm doing an engine swap. So I have to drive my parent's Camery. When I'm driving the Camery, my SA is so bad that I can barely keep from running off the road.

#33 ·
Nobody is likely to pay attention to my car. It's a Chevy Impala. You all surely know what they look like as basically all new police cars are Impalas (instead of the old Ford Crown Victorias they used to drive).

And it's silver, which I hear is the most common car paint color for the seventh year in a row. A mid-size 4-door sedan in the most common color blends in as much as possible.

#34 ·
Well, the problem I used to have is sort of similar..

Growing up my dad always had this very old holden. It was his first car so needless to say, he'd had it for a loooong time. But it wasn't kept in good nick. It was rusty (needed a new paint job badly), had cobwebs all over it (to the point where we'd call it an Addam's Family car), and overall was just... embarrassing to be seen in.

My dad would never act like there was anything wrong with it either. He'd drop me off at school out the very front and I'd get cruel things shouted at me by kids I didn't even know (and some I did). Outside of school it was the same. Being seen in it, people would stare, and sometimes do a double take as if they couldn't quite believe their eyes. When it finally started having too many problems, he went searching for a new car, but he was fussy and it had to be a E.H (I think..) holden. So he finally got a new one, after going to a lot of trouble (driving 2 hours or so just to get it :blank) and it looks virtually the same except it's light green, has a good paint job and is overall a lot nicer looking. Of course by this time I don't even live with him anymore (my parents seperated) and don't ever get driven by him anywhere. To think of all those years he drove me places in the Addam's Family car, when I'd just be praying he'd get a new car. I envied all the kids whose parents had fancy new cars so much... :|

#36 ·
A couple years ago when my SA was on the upside I bought a bright red, and somewhat ostentatious sports car. It's the type of car that will turn heads at every corner and merit the occasional question from complete strangers. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm on stage at every stoplight and I can't stand it anymore. I purposely take longer routes to avoid busy intersections and stoplights just to stay calm.

I used to drive a convertible which would often attract attention. Sometimes I didn't mind, but other times it did make me feel a bit self-conscious. (Especially on those rare hot days here in the UK when the roof was down and I was stopped in traffic.)

On the whole, I think I prefer something a bit more anonymous.

#37 ·
I just got a car today, and I noticed that the windows are pretty big..and you can see whoever is in it pretty well. I don't know how much I like that, because I rather go unnoticed. Oh well, I guess.

#38 ·
Try to remember technical details about the car, it allows you something to rattle off, like a script. It works for me, and my car is quite ostentatious. Its a '73 Olds 442, basically an old muscle car. Lots of attention, unfortunately, but i love that old thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.