Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 21 and I don't know how to drive-

I already took my mandatory driving education class 3 years ago which included 6hours of actual driving experience with a driving teacher and I barely passed it-I drove so slowly-I felt like I was going at a good speed but he kept on complaining about how slow I was and the times that he forced me to speed up I realized that I was a slow driver-but it just does not feel natural to me to drive at that speed even though that is a normal speed-oh yeah and i also sucked at doing turns-even the ones where all i'm doing is turning right, and i also sucked at parking-my mom's gonna give me some lessons, and i also sucked at everything else-

my biggest problem is brakes!!!!! yeah i drove around roads and **** for my driving class but everytime i hit a red light behind a car i seemed to brake too hard-like i pressed the brake and me and the teacher would get jerked or i would press the brake late, or too soon-do i just hit it when i need to stop-do i slowly press it and let the car roll and that will make the car stop eventually or do i slowly press it, then hit it?

I know inside that I can drive, that this fear of driving is in my head(despite the fact that driving does have its dangers), so what I'm looking for is one of you to tell me, yes I used to be deathly afraid of driving, but when i actually did learn, I realized that I was a great driver or something along those lines

edit: I also suck at driving in residential areas where all the cars are parked on the street-I seriously almost hit like 3 cars when I was driving with my mom down a street with cars parked on the right and left-the cars feel like they're right next to the car no matter what i do

and i'm also afraid of highways-i don't know how i'll learn to drive in themEDIT:esp since I wanted to drive back to Atlanta for school instead of taking a bunch of heavy bags on the train with me....agghhh...but i dont think thats possible anyway right cuz of the provisional license deal right?-i forgot all about the rules with that ****

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I didn't get my license until around that age. Don't worry about not being a good driver because no one is great when they first get behind the wheel. Basically, the only way to get better is to drive as much as possible. Eventually, you get a good feel for the car and you'll know when and how to brake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
do i slowly press it and let the car roll and that will make the car stop eventually or do i slowly press it, then hit it?
Ha! That cracked me up :p. It's so automatic for me now, I really had to think about it.. If I want to stop smoothly, I just slowly apply pressure and continue to push harder until the car stops. If you want to completely avoid all jerking, it takes a little bit of finesse, like as you are actually coming to a stop, release pressure slightly until the car stops rolling. But that takes a lot of effort, even for me, and I've always been very conscientious about how smooth my driving is. I wouldn't worry about that for now.. Just stick to slowly continuing to increase the pressure. If you are approaching faster than you want, apply more pressure until you feel that you're approaching at a comfortable pace. It just takes practice :).

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If you drive a manual then you can also brake using the engine, but a good moderation between brake and engine would be best. I guess you'll learn that when you get good at driving, but for now stick with the brakes, hehe.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
You could just let off the gas pedal to slow down. Many people where I live don't get this concept. They just go like heck and then slam their brakes on. Even when they turn a corner and go down the many hills here they will slam the accelerator down and then ride their brakes when they get halfway down the hill. The car will roll down the hill due to what is called gravity. :lol

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
If you drive a manual then you can also brake using the engine, but a good moderation between brake and engine would be best. I guess you'll learn that when you get good at driving, but for now stick with the brakes, hehe.
I hate using the break pedal...the only breaking I do is engine breaking unless absolutly necessary

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You'll get used to it. When i started learning to drive i hated it, but eventually i passed and now i'd say i'm a pretty good driver. It's actually pretty nice, you realise that even if you suck really bad at something in the beginning it is possible to become good at it eventually.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, driving is tricky! I didn't learn for a while. I have cerebal palsy and my Mum would tell me almost everyday that I'd never drive as she was ferrying me to school, or work, or whatnot.

I was so determined to drive that I bought a car and and found a very sympathetic driving instructor. 29 lessons later, I got my licence! I cried with joy.

A few years on, I'm not a great driver. I find brakes really tricky and I've had my current car for two years now. I also find steering pretty tricky - I'm very jerky in my movements. But I've found that driving is fun! There's so much freedom, and you get to blare whatever music you like whenever!

You'll get there! Just give it a whirl and persist! Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't worry. You're already way ahead of me. I started learning last year when I was 22, got my probationary license (one that lets me drive alone) this past January. While I've been driving with family and instructors retty often for the past year, I've only started driving alone this past week because my new job requires it.

I still haven't been on the highway alone. This past week, I drove on it for a good 2 hours though. The only 'scary' part is merging, but if you know what to do, and the ramp is reasonably long, you should be good.

Good luck, you just need to practice more to build up confidence.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Wow I can definitely relate with your experience learning to drive. I too used to be TERRIFIED of driving. I've never had an interest in driving. Most 16 year olds can't wait to get there license, but my parents had to force me to learn how to drive. :um After several weeks of practicing I am now comfortable driving. I always believed that driving was so random and dangerous. I hope in the future humans will find a better and safer way to travel. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I thought I was the only one with trouble making turns! I google'd it and I couldn't find tips on how to make proper right turns without oversteering into the curb so I assumed I was the only one with this problem. Apparently I recover my wheel too late and by the time I'm recovering, my car is headed towards the curb.

Another problem I have is changing lanes, I have trouble telling how far the car in my side mirror is and when I pay too much attention to my side mirrors, my attention to what's in front of me completely disappears.

But practice, practice, practice! Even if it's on residential streets, once you get used to the feeling of the car, you get much more confident. :D

My next goal, getting a Bus License.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
What kind of car were you driving? A Mini Cooper would be different from a SUV on the residential roads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well I'm 26 and I can't drive. I have nieces who can drive. Kids I used to babysit can now drive. :clap :boogie The perks are I can drink whenever I go out (which funnily enough isn't very often, but still); I am chauffeured everywhere and never have to pay for petrol/repairs/registration/insurance/parking and all the other ways cars have sucking up your money.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad about not being able to drive yet. It takes practice practice practice, and I think in "normal" families the parents spend a lot of time teaching kids before their first lesson. It's insane to think you can take any teenager and make them a good driver in just a few hours. Also, it seems like a lot of school-run driver ed programs go out of their way to flunk people the first time, just so they can pay a big fee to retake the test.

After seven years I think I've finally gotten rid of most of my bad driving habits. I wish I knew how to drive a stick shift, but guess what, I've never had one and I don't see anyone donating theirs to me.

The only thing that bugs me now is that my friends seem to have no problem going 70 or 80 in a 55 zone, when I'll "only" go 60 or 65 depending on traffic.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I was in drivers ed nearly 10-11 years ago, I was terrified! I bombed almost every range lesson and simulation lesson. Every time I'd go to class, I'd be mortified and everyone would laugh and make fun of me. I eventually passed with like a C and got the nerve to get my license at 20 (w/much egging on from my father). Ever since then I have not operated a vehicle.

My advice is to find a calm, patient and kind friend/family member to accompany you for practice. If I had the money, I'd just pay for driving lessons but I'm too self-conscious about being in that car with the driving school sign on top.

From what I remember, I was a pretty crappy at turns and parking, but I'm trying to muster up the courage to start practicing. I need to drive. One thing that really gave me a wakeup call was when my family and I were leaving the buffet one day, and my mom just started puking like the exorcist!!!! I freaked out! She even got in the car and continued to puke (I guess she was embarrassed to continue to stand outside and finish up). I begged her to pull over and I even suggested I'd drive, but she didn't bother. I guess she didn't trust me, coz I haven't been in a car for so long. The only other person in the car was my 27 year old brother who is mentally handicapped. So I had to watch in horror as my mother puked on herself all the way home.

To make a long story short, I know you can do it. The more you practice, the better it will get( i need to be telling myself that too...lol). Good luck to you/us !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I didn't start driving until I was 23? The first few lessons are always a bit daunting. My dad taught me.. in his SUV. And I know what you mean about residential streets with cars parked along the curb - I remember during one lesson where I guess I was a bit too close to the parked cars (didn't realise) and my dad had to turn the steering wheel a bit. Didn't think I was that close.. Narrow streets are even worse - where parked cars effectively turn it into a one-way street.

With the braking; it'll get better with practice. It takes time to get used to a car and the more you drive, the better you'll get at handling it. I'm used to my own car now but when I have to drive one of the other cars, it takes me a while to get used to the brakes and there are still times when I press down too hard and stop too soon.

My issue was with parking, and it still bothers me that I can't seem to park in the middle. I'm able to park inside the lines, yes, but I'm always too much on one side or the other, hah. My car is a bit wide at the back, so that may explain it.. always looks a bit off. Have yet to master parallel parking.. haven't even attempted it yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Imagine me... I have horrible, horrible eyesight. I'm a little scared... my dad's going to teach me and he's not the most patient person in the world lol. A couple years kept me from even thinking about getting my license, but I'm ready now haha.

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
I'll join in
I got my permit about a month after I turned 16, and got my license about 2 weeks after I turned 21 (so almost 5 years with just a permit). Thing is, I wanted to learn, but was too scared to drive. Every time my mom would offer I'd decline. Except for a few times. I even made the mistake of trying with my dad, which turns out to be a mistake with an impatient person and a person overly critical of them self. So for the first 4 years of having a permit, I drove maybe 4 hours total. Until last summer, where circumstance required me to drive, not only that but drive on a highway for most of the way (a mostly empty highway, thankfully). Highways are easy...except for on ramps. I'm still not confident with them. So after a few months of driving (I got a car before I started driving a lot), and that dull 5 hour course that the state mandates (a lecture, a few videos and a test) I finally went for the road test. I failed (35/30...30 being the max to pass), and felt like crap the rest of the week, another month later I took it again and passed (25/30...barely. In fact the test person said that I shouldn't be allowed to drive alone yet).. but in between I had to retake the written permit test, since permits only last 5 years (issue date to birthday within 5 years).
I learned to drive a forklift (reach truck, stand up model) before I learned to operate a car.
I learned by driving around the usually empty roads around the house. Once I got good enough I did it alone. I find it easier to drive alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Have you herd this phrase, "Practice makes man perfect" same is true with driving, don`t give it up completely just keep driving, no matter how slow yu drive, slowly you will gain the confidence and will be a good driver, driving is not very complicated or tough task , just enjoy driving and be careful about rules.

Regards,
sarah_9

Online Traffic School & Traffic Tickets Los Angeles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts