Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I want to go to gay pride this weekend but I am kind of scared that going alone will look bad. I won't know very many people there. Maybe like 3 or 4 people out of thousands. They are having a block party tonight and it is so much fun. Live music food and drinks. I would usually go with my partner but he passed away on May 1st. So I am hesitating because he was my support system. So I really don't know what to do...I know that if I drink It will relax me but how do I approach people? What if guys see me alone and approach me? How do I react to that? I can go on and on as you all know but I will stop here. Please give me some advice on what to do. And what you would do. I know there probably isn't a lot of gay people on this forum but I'm sure there are gay friendly people who can relate. Thanks everyone!

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
It will probably be like any other social gathering. Just go with a friendly attitude and try to get into the party spirit and I'm sure you'll do fine.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
I've been to several. Even though I don't like crowds, they were a lot of fun.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You should go and enjoy yourself! Im not trying to bring up any bad feelings but do you not want to be approached because of your partners recent passing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to my first pride just this weekend. Every year I feel horrible for not going and now I finally got up the courage, even though I don't know a lot of people there and it turned out great. I felt so proud of myself for actually going that my confidence level went way up. In my city the crowd wasn't that big, only about 500 people, it wasn't so impersonal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats exactly how I felt this year, I went to my first pride this year, my SA got really bad. My friend essentially forced me to give a drag queen a dollar while she performed. What I thought would have been a simple exchange turned into me being pulled into the show. I laughed while it was happening but on the inside I was panicking. When I finally was able to sit back down I was shaking so bad I had to grab my hands. It was fun though dont get me wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
kinda late for this post i think...
did u end up going to pride? if not definetly go next year. I hate crowds but pride is just awesome. its just a very friendly enviorment. this year was my second time going and im going every year till the day i die. its sooo much fun. u can just feel the positive energy from the crowd. i went to chicago pride and about 450,000 people showed up it was crazy but in a good way. me and my girlfriend went and her cousin thats also gay went and we met up with her step sister in the city. after the parade we some how ended up sharing a bottle of vodka from the gay guys next to us haha it was great.
i think its a great place to meet new people.

Jackie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts