Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one in town that interests me. I think it would be fun. It would give me the chance to meet people. I would improve on my meditation skills.

I also worry. I worry that I wouldn't fit in with the group. What if they are all weird new-agey hippies? What if they are too religious for me? What if I am singled out in front of everyone?

And I think to myself, it wouldn't be bad if that happened, but still....

I worry. There's that worry.

I don't know what the point of this thread is. I guess I am wondering if any of you are a part of a meditation group, i.e. an Eastern one, and if so, what it's like. What the group composition is like and so on.

In a way I feel especially weird. I am the only person my age I know that meditates. I have been doing mindfulness meditation since I was in high school. It seems like something for aging hippies in Vermont to do, not people like me. I don't know. Does anyone else my age (22) meditate? Not pray, I know that there are plenty of judeo-christian praying people my age. But I mean meditate?

Well I'll go ahead and post this, and maybe someone will reply. btw the group is aligned with Vipassana meditation which is the sort I like to do, they have a website at http://www.alwaysmetta.org

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wish I had a meditation group to go to...yeah maybe it will be weird, but it still sounds interesting...I went to this class thing once for about 6 sessions where the lady beat on a indian drum, while we meditated sort of like inner journey type of thing...it was not something I was used to, but it was still cool...funny thing was me and another lady were the only older people there...all the rest were college girls, but they were really nice and I didn't feel out of place.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
College girls huh? That doesn't sound so bad. :b

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have looked for the same type of thing but never got motivated (courageous?) enough to go. When I looked for meditation groups I came across at least one offered in conjunction with a Christian church. I believe one of the church clergy led the group, and it met on weekdays. Maybe that type of group would have some folks your age or with similar backgrounds.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was interested in attending a spiritualist group near college when I went (spiritualist as in theosophy) but never bothered because of the same worries as you. I dunno... you could always hang around in the back of something like that for a minute to see if you'd feel comfortable... still it would take some intial courage I guess

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided that I will call them and ask a few questions when I get back from the Xmas break. It will be my New-Year's resolution. Join a meditation group. Woot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah,join a group

I start uni next week and im going to join the buddhist group and the meditating group.Dont have reservations about it on the basis of not fitting in..new age hippies are all about love and acceptance dude!

But yeah Ive always had an eastern view of the world but never really looked into philosophies and religions because they felt too far out and not relevant to me..another world away..
Then I hit a particularly bad patch and decided id cling to the biblical worldview for some support and to some degree it gave me a real peace and allowed me to get my priorities right..but the whole christian bag was so alien to me that it just made matters worse..I couldnt believe in it without taking the bible as 'written by god' and interpreting the bible that way turned my whole world bonkers it was so unnatural..so now im getting back to what i originally believed in which is more in tune with buddhism,hinduism...these tend to work for me

I think awakening to the reality of consciousness is really helpful for SAD sufferers,i think we have a tendency to think we are defined by certain incidences or perceptions that people once had of us,but if you experience the actual nature of being alive,you begin to understand that the you of the past doesnt exist.Its really liberating, and helps you appreciate life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
haha

i realise i probably blabbed on about my religiousness too much there,but i guess i was just clarifying for my own sake,didnt have a lot to do with ur post..
By the way im not rubishing jesus, I just couldnt find a way to make it feel right for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.