Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Maybe some of you are like me and hopefully were able to find a solution.

I always have so many projects in mind, dozens of things I want to accomplish...

Whether it'd be learning a new language, reading more, improving my mathematics skills, learning how to play guitar, etc., I am constantly willing to try something new...

The problem is, I never start anything because I'm afraid that I'll be wasting my time while I could learn something else to improve myself... So as if there is always something better out there that I could try and so it's as if I was constantly waiting for the perfect thing...

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
You create projects as a means to procrastinate on projects because you can't complete the project you have created for yourself and you know this.... Even if you could complete everything, you'd be spreading yourself too thin to actually master anything, so you'd be mediocre at a whole **** ton of stuff which is rather useless. Solution: get a job. When you have a very minimal amount of down time, you stop worrying about stupid **** like this.

·
today's a beautiful day
2,217 Posts
well.. happens to me too sometimes, cause i have so many hobbies... so i dont focus enough on anything specially... and when i fall in the zone, i end up doing one thing for sooo long, ignoring other hobbies... which kinda annoys me...

so i think i need to make me like daily schedule for all the things i want to do or throw away some of my hobbies =(... but i cannot do that last thing.. so..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solution: get a job. When you have a very minimal amount of down time, you stop worrying about stupid **** like this.
I work 40 hours a week for a software company. I don't know how you could assume that I don't work. But thank you for the reply.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
I work 40 hours a week for a software company. I don't know how you could assume that I don't work. But thank you for the reply.
Jesus really? Then onto step 2: get a girlfriend.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,207 Posts
Yes I have the exact same problem, so far (for me) after some thought, I think it's mostly linked to commitment issues.

I've not made a significant amount of progress but what helps a bit (I have intertwining issues, so this isn't the only thing, but I've found ways to help this part of the thought process) is to just do things straight away and really force yourself not to think about anything too far beyond what you're doing in that very moment. Don't plan too much (plan as little as you can get away with,) and try to keep your attention on the present activity and not all the things you could be doing.

Aside from not wanting to commit because you're waiting for something better, you may also have a general fear of not being able to complete the task to your expectations so you give up before beginning. This is cited as a common cause of procrastination but it does sound like the commitment thing I mentioned is relevant too in your case.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
sry, no

that's a horrible answer, man

learning is fulfilling for some people, regardless of your skill level
Thinking and planning to do something then not doing it, then repeating the process ad infinitum might be fulfilling to you, but i don't the same applies to a lot of people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts