Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my phone phobia has been spiraling out of control for the last few months (Phone phobia thread here: http://socialanxietysupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=31680&highlight=phone ). So for the first time in ages, I turned on my cell phone. The roughest part was seeing that I had 13 unheard voice messages. So I checked those (cringing when I realized that I had missed some important calls), and erased them all so I could start with a clean slate. Then I called my good friend whom I hadn't spoken to in months. We talked for almost 2 hours! It felt great to catch up with her. I even apologized to her for not calling sooner and I explained to her my irrational phobia. She forgave me and told me she could understand where I was coming from (and not to do it ever again!). That's thing that gets me about phobias; usually things are never as bad as I make them out to be. Anyways, as long as I'm not at work, I'm going to leave my cell phone on and not try to avoid talking to people anymore. Small step...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
YaY!! thats great !! :banana
I always wondered whats up with phone phobia, I'm more terrified of speaking to people over the phone than in person... what really scares us?
Yesterday I had to call 2 clinics to set up and appoitment and call my school, I needed 10 min to actually force myself to do it, the whole time I was on the phone, I was shaking... ugh.. :afr

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Equisgurl said:
YaY!! thats great !! :banana
I always wondered whats up with phone phobia, I'm more terrified of speaking to people over the phone than in person... what really scares us?
Yesterday I had to call 2 clinics to set up and appoitment and call my school, I needed 10 min to actually force myself to do it, the whole time I was on the phone, I was shaking... ugh.. :afr
Thanks Equisgurl! I totally understand the feeling. Before I had called my friend, I sent her a very curt email, saying that I would call her later that evening. I had to give myself the entire day to garner the strength and courage to turn on my phone and give her a call. If I had to call a complete stranger (like you to make an appointment), I'd probably still be clutching the phone and trembling at the thought! I wish I had a better understanding of what really scares us. The feeling of fear is real, but it doesn't seem rational.

Small steps... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts