Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I threw a wedding/baby shower for two of my best friends at my home.

It took a lot for me to do this, of course, because I'm not terribly comfortable at parties, and also because a big part of my struggle with social anxiety is inviting people to my home.

However, I've always had a talent for throwing exceptionally fun parties. I like to think it's because I try to think through the event, and plan fun and engaging activities to be enjoyed by all. The less time to "mingle" the better.

All through the party, people told me what a blast they had and, as is usually the case after I throw a party, everyone asks me to plan their upcoming events. (Not that I usually take them up on this proposition, but it's nice to hear how much people enjoy my events.) :) People also gave me so many complements on my home. I certainly don't regret having the party there now!

It has really boosted my confidence and I just wanted to share.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Wow - that is really brave. amazing that you can do that!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe me, it wasn't easy.
I stressed out it so much before it happened (as I usually do with parties). I've lived in my home with my husband (who likes to entertain) for about 2 years now. I've thrown 3 large parties and several small ones since then, and each time I'm a basket case beforehand.
My husband is pretty understanding about not throwing them often, because he sees what it takes out of me, but it's nice that we can compromise and do it sometimes.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Believe me, it wasn't easy.
I stressed out it so much before it happened (as I usually do with parties). I've lived in my home with my husband (who likes to entertain) for about 2 years now. I've thrown 3 large parties and several small ones since then, and each time I'm a basket case beforehand.
My husband is pretty understanding about not throwing them often, because he sees what it takes out of me, but it's nice that we can compromise and do it sometimes.
I'll bet - I can't even imagine doing that. In fact, no matter how far I go on overcoming SA, I don't think I'll ever *want* to do that. It's amazing that you've gone to such lengths for your husband and friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts