Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that I am less anxious in social situations and I have stopped caring what people think about the things I say. I am still a bit nervous in unfamiliar situations, but for the most part, I feel really good.

Therapy must have worked after all!!! Now, its really weird, because life without severe SA is very different. I am starting to see changes in myself. I notice that I am naturally quiet around others, but not because of SA. I also notice that even though my SA is leaving, I still dont have friends and I still am not naturally a "social" person. Its just really hard to accept the fact that even without anxiety, I am still a quiet, reserved individual.

I thought that after the anxiety left, I would be really "outgoing" and "sociable" and meet tons of new friends. But now its really hard trying to except the fact that I am naturally introvert. I could fake it, but its just too much stress involved and I think I wouldn't really want to have "fake" friends anyway. But I am happy and can focus better since SA is finally leaving. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well done! This is great. Did you have CBT?

I'm also introverted and I can understand your frustrations with wanting to be able to mix better. If you're feeling less and less SA, it's only a matter of time before you make some friends.

Of course, I don't know you, but I do know that everyone has some good personal qualities, and that includes you, so some people will find that they like you very soon. If it doesn't happen naturally, perhaps you could join a club that interests you. For example, I'm starting a Spanish class in a couple of weeks because A. I want to learn the language and B. it's a chance to make some new friends. I'm opening up an opportunity for myself, and perhaps you should do the same. :)

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I havent had CBT really. Um...I just had more individualized therapy and I guess it really worked!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sort of experienced this as well. I have a feeling that part of it is just habits that have build up over years of me being withdrawn though. I try and make an effort to put myself out there and socialize as much as possible and I'm hoping I start to become more extroverted as time goes on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You don't have to have "fake friends" to fake it for a while or you could call it acting it, man thats how nearly everybody that got cured Had to do anyway before they fully broke through into confident social standings and interactions and standing up an speaking out for themselves and having the confidence to make jokes with complete strangers in everyday situations,

You have past the symptoms of horrid lol(old posh english word) SA.thats seems to me cause ive been there,your half way there, you need to build on your social skills and realise that in normal everyday situations its better being confident strong and be able to manipulate social situations to suit yourself,
learning social skills again, training/excersising really helps and so do certain meds, to give you that extra push now that your see from your symptoms,
my 2 cent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.